Knowledge and being at the top of a field or area?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am wondering

1) Weather somebody that obtains all the possible knowledge (i.e all the past and present knowledge on a certain subject )
if that out weighs experience? And if it is easier to teach somebody that has experience then total knowledge? (leaving off talent i.e assuming both people have the same potiential talent )

2) When something new comes out in a particular field how many people in that field / or hobbiest can understand it fully. And how much time does it normally take before the average population / people in the field can fully understand it. Basically what I am getting at is what is the extent of progress of the average person to the most elite person in the field. Is it getting more close to the same?

3) What is the extent of the most elite experience? What I mean is mathematically we can put a bound on how long a person could possible live naturally so in that time duration what is the extent of the most experience one could gain in a particular field? And once we know that that would determine the extent of what a human being can do.
(i.e functional wise with no aided help from computers or more people working together ) (essentially a humans most elite level of mental and physical expert's )

4) And what constitutes who gets what or what quality of life at that point when everybody pretty much can do the same thing/ around the same thing. Maybe it becomes not what you know but who you know.
Maybe it should come down into what a person can endure or is willing to endure in an average day.
Maybe it comes down into what a person is willing to do.
Maybe it comes down to what a person capible of doing based on there believes, or mental/physical restrictions

Question 4 can never be solved though questions 1-3 can to some extent be mathematically solved
So what makes 4 so much harder ? Because it is based on only believe and that is the flaw or what makes use different then robots.

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
When you get right down to it,we are all human. A lot of things come with that.

Its depends on the breaks you get in life , I wouldn't attemp to teach you how to

sweep a floor. Life is to short.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I've heard it said you must practice for 10,000 hours to become an expert. Which, I think if you do the math, works out to about 5 years of experience.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I've heard it said you must practice for 10,000 hours to become an expert. Which, I think if you do the math, works out to about 5 years of experience.
Some people are gifted and can be as good at a new skill after 100 hours as other people are after 1000 or 10000 hours.

Mathematics said:
1) Weather somebody that obtains all the possible knowledge (i.e all the past and present knowledge on a certain subject )
if that out weighs experience? ...
Roman's scale of IQ evaluation (ranked low to high);
* low intellect; can't work out the answer.
* average intellect; given enough time and effort can finaly work out the answer.
* educated intellect; has learned tools and systems to allow working out the answer much better than an average person.
* high intellect; can work out the answer quickly and easily.
* supreme intellect; already knows the answer. Nothing to work out.

Experience has to rank you close to that top level... ;)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I don't know, I use a practicing physician, and pay him for it.
If the repair technicians out there were "practicing", the "news crews" would be all over them as scam and rip-off artists for not correctly diagnosing the problem. If the news crews didn't show up, word of mouth would be intense and the consumer would be hitting them where it hurt ... in cash flow.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
We were regulated by the State of Florida ,I guess the box stores killed that bill.

So they could be the unregulated crooks, the T.V. guy means nothing anymore.