Know this isn't a buy/sell forum

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
But I've got a unique meter I have no use for and would love to pass it on to a collector.

Edgewise, mirrored scale, 0-10 or 0-20VDC selectable. Diamond pivots and in perfect condition.
About 7" x 3.5" x ~6.5" deep. Resolution on the scale goes to 0.1V divisions but those are large divisions.
Sensitive Research division of the old Singer corp when it was in Bridgeport Connecticut.

Obviously military surplus and it weighs a ton but I think, with proper packing, it will fit into a flat rate shipping box. Can't find any links to it on the 'net but I can post pictures if anyone's interested in it.

This thing belongs in somebody's collector display, probably a $2,000 movement when it came out. If nobody is interested I'll try eBay then if that doesn't work I'll just donate it to our local Bell Museum as I doubt any of the local Universities could appreciate it.

Don't think I've got my e-mail address in here for obvious reasons, just post back ad I'll be glad to respond.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Beautiful meter! I've got some older analog meters that are mechanical works of art. They just don't get much use these days.

By the way, older HP instruments from the 70's and before that had analog meters on the front (e.g., oscillators, distortion analyzers, etc.) make a good source of these older meters. I've taken a few of them apart and always get quite a bit of good mechanical components for the shop. Then the meters are typically 50 μA movements that are very nice meters. I took one apart and used it for a microbalance (search the web and you'll find some good articles on it). With a constant current supply, I found that I could detect mass differences in the microgram region. It was a fun little project to fool around with, but I learned the lesson that the challenging aspect of turning it into a useful tool was the need for some mass standards. These are not trivial to deal with when they are sub milligram size! An errant puff from your nostril can lose them forever on the rug... :p

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
No doubt a work of art but I'll be darned if I'm going to disassemble or alter it.
It belongs on a collector's shelf or, since it's in perfect working order, an oddball design.