Kit149 USB PIC programmer, will it do?

yorkwils

Joined Mar 7, 2010
If I bought the Kit149 Microchip USB programmer (ebay) and plugged it into a computer running Linux (Ubuntu), would it recognise it?
Then, if I already had a Hex file prepared, could I load the programmer using terminal?
If so, how difficult would it be.
Thanks

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Does the vendor mention linux support?
Using a device will need a driver to access it.
The PicKit2 of microchip has limited support for linux (it is third party software working with certain firmwares).

Greetings,
Bertus

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I suspect that this will only work with windows. It says it works exclusively with their K149 BC software.

There are PICKIT2 clones available on ebay which may or may not be compatible with the software Bertus mentioned.

JDM 40 ZIF USB Microchip Programmer Kit 149 PIC Program

This is a brand new and boxed USB microchip programmer which works exclusively with the K149 BC software.

The programmer connects via your PC’s USB port and takes its power from the USB interface, meaning that you do not need an external AC/DC adapter.

• Built-in circuitry for easy onboard firmware upgrading
  • Fully compatible with the Kit 149 PIC programmer
  • Supplied with link to download the K149 BC software
  • Compatible with Windows Vista

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
The Kit 149 programmer as far as I'm aware was only ever supported on Windows and even that limited support has evaporated lately. There have not been any software updates in years nor are there any signs of any in the pipeline so newer PIC devices are not supported by this programmer. This programmer is one to steer well clear of.
You would be much better off getting a PICkit2/3.

yorkwils

Joined Mar 7, 2010
Thanks for your help. Will look at Pickit2 & 3. If Linux isn't easy perhaps will setup a temp Windows system just for PICs.