Kicad schematic update

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by LaurenceR, Jul 6, 2014.

1. LaurenceR

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2013
    I am using Kicad to build a printed circuit board. I created the schematic, associated the correct modules and associated it with the pcb board. After laying out the connections I wanted to change two connections to my op amp module. I went back and changed the schematic and tried to re-associate it to the pcb board. No changes in the connection showed up. The pcb board won't let me revers the connections (+ and - terminals). I must be missing something. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Larry

2. LaurenceR

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2013
    My apology.
    I'll look for an appropriate site.
    Thanks

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  4. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Give it a chance. Your two posts were but an hour apart. Perhaps no one with Kicad experience logged in during that time. It can take up to 24 hours some days to get a reply.

5. LaurenceR

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Your right. I jumped the gun a bit. I didn't notice the "off topic" heading when I first posted it and thought that was some kind of response. Will also check out the other suggested site.
    Thank you both.

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    With Kicad you have to recreate the Netlist in schematic editor for the PCB layout editor to see them.

The Netlist is how one editor talks to the other.

7. LaurenceR

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2013
    I'm not changing any of the components, just two connections. Then I save the whole project before going to pcbnew. the changes on the schematic don't show up on the pc board.
    Thanks,

8. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Again, if you want ANY change in the schematic, no matter how minor you feel it is, to appear in the PCB you first have to re-create the netlist, then load it again in PCB editor.

Choose the load options carefully in the PCB editor. Save your work just before you do this in case the load goes bad.

9. LaurenceR

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2013
    I believe I found the answer on the web. Apparently saving the changes to the schematic doesn't mean they will transfer to the pcb. When you read the net list from pcbnew you have to check off the "delete bad tracks", "change modules" and "remove extra foot prints" in order to see the changes. It worked great. Here is the web site if anyone is interested.
    http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/kicad/pcb_layout/change_part

Thank you all for your help.

10. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Apparently telling you such twice did not help you in your quest.