keypad eliminator

Model-a

Joined Jun 16, 2009
I am installing a burgler alarm my shop and want to have a momentary switch closure to arm-disarm the unit. It came with a keypad which requires a 4 button entry to do the arm-disarm function.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Most if not all alarm systems require a code entry to disable the alarm.
How do you plan to do this with a single button?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
He plans for us to tell him how to do it with one button.
Not likely, considering that everything that can count to 3 has a microprocessor in it nowadays, and the manufacturers make sure nobody can get the programming code for them.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Disarming an alarm without verification kind of defeats the purpose of the alarm, no?

Perhaps you could tell me where your shop is...?:rolleyes:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Just get something like this and tell it where the 4 buttons on the alarm are, then hit it's START button:

It's probably possible to replace their keypad with some sort of keypad simulator where it does the same thing electronically (instead of mechanically).

However, if the additional security of an alarm code is not important, just get a Sharpie pen and write the code above the keypad.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
how silly.. Just remove the alarm system because you are basically attempting to defeating 90% of its actual "security"

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The OP's plan can maintain security if the arm/disarm button location is unknown to unwelcome visitors.

I assume he's talking about a system that has the keypad inside the perimeter, and that it must be disarmed within 30-60 seconds of a breach. If the perp can't find the keypad-equivalent in that time, it's still somewhat secure.

If we're talking about an external keypad that must receive a code before a door opens, the OP's approach obviously wouldn't work.

Model-a

Joined Jun 16, 2009
I'm going to use a keyswitch. The alarm board has 4 input terminals which I can choose which of the 9 wires from the keypad and set my own code. I assume that each terminal just requires a pulse in sequence to arm-disarm the alarm board.

Model-a

Joined Jun 16, 2009
This is a 10 to 20 year old alarm system which doesn't appear to ever been used and the owners manual doesn't say anything about programming a chip on the board.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The OP's plan can maintain security if the arm/disarm button location is unknown to unwelcome visitors.

I assume he's talking about a system that has the keypad inside the perimeter, and that it must be disarmed within 30-60 seconds of a breach. If the perp can't find the keypad-equivalent in that time, it's still somewhat secure.
Security through obscurity doesn't work. All it takes is one person to know where the switch is, and word would spread fast. Key-switches can be opened easily, either by going for the wire, or a pick, they have "instant picks" for the barrel type locks, I have one, it works great for finding the right replacement key in under 30 seconds.

Same problem as writing your PIN on the back of your bank card. :eek:

Model-a

Joined Jun 16, 2009
That isn't what I wanted to hear, but I will take your advice and stick with the keypad. Thanks for the input
Allen