Key debounce

James Gordon

Joined Jan 13, 2015
Hi!

I've looked around for key debounce circuits online but can't find anything that fits the bill. I'm looking for a purely digital solution that can clear up key bounce on a single wire. Anyone able to suggest a solution please?

Thanks

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
In what way do the numerous well known debounce circuits not fit the bill?

An RC filter removes bounce and if you need the output to be strictly digital, you can feed RC output through Schmitt trigger, comparator, etc.

Would this fit the bill? If not, what's missing?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
This debounce solved OP's problem & was still on file. Does not require DPST switch. As suggested, can replace 555 with other schmitts; 40106, 74C14, 74C914.Thirty Sec. Pulser. 00000.jpg

James Gordon

Joined Jan 13, 2015
One's I have found online have not fit the bill for the following reason: it is required that the solution uses only basic gates and flip-flops. In addition, the online solutions have not worked as I only have access to a single wire, I have attached potentially the worst diagram I have ever made, but I hope it gets the point across, where x represents the block that is to be replaced with only basic gates and flipflops in order to eliminate key bounce from any of the switches.

Thanks for the replies, all most helpful.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One's I have found online have not fit the bill for the following reason: it is required that the solution uses only basic gates and flip-flops. In addition, the online solutions have not worked as I only have access to a single wire, I have attached potentially the worst diagram I have ever made, but I hope it gets the point across, where x represents the block that is to be replaced with only basic gates and flipflops in order to eliminate key bounce from any of the switches.

Thanks for the replies, all most helpful.
Not quite sure how you "switch" a single wire. Please draw a complete circuit.

John

James Gordon

Joined Jan 13, 2015
There are 3 switches like the one in the diagram, all coming from different sources. The bottom wire will go high when any of the three switches are pressed, I didn't think I could use two-wire as this would mean having to connect the other end of the 3 switches. Ground isn't featured in this section of circuitry, correct me if I am wrong.

So say the setup below was used, and a voltmeter attached to the output to determine which key was being pressed, how would the debounce block be implemented please?

I know this is a pain, sorry about that. Please know your efforts are most appreciated.

Attachments

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
In order for the circuit to work you need to be able to place your voltmeter on the input and see a change. So you need another path, not just one wire in the air.
Talk more about the circuit with the switches.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
To do a debounce circuit for a single pole switch requires a time delay of some form. If you need to do that digitally without any analog RC delays, then you must have a digital clock to generate the delay time.
Can you use a clock in the solution?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
This sounds like something you are supposed to figure for a lab assignment. Is that the case?

What FPGA board are you using?

Have you learned about state machines? Both of these circuits you are asking for are done with state machines.