Kenwood stereo Power amplifier KAC-5020

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dingoden, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dingoden

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I have the above amp and want to use it with a GPS that has low mono audio out. The instruction sheet shows how to connect the amp to a car stereo. The input leads are copper shield, steel bare wire, orange lead, red lead, white lead (5) icluding the copper shield. I have removed the 6 pin socket that was for connecting to a stereo radio.

There are the normal + and - to go to the battery. The speaker connections are OK (L and R).

I think (?) that one of the input leads may be a switching lead to "turn the amp on".

Would I need to attach a +12vdc source and a neg gd? If so is there a way to check which is the + and neg switching leads? Thanks for any advice.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. Dingoden

Dec 8, 2008
    I had a look at the URL you suggested. Wow $50 US in our falling $ would be about $80. The amp is 10 yerars old. Just want to use it for the Sat Nav audio. Anyway, I doubt if I could "read the cct and trace the wires". That is why I asked for help on the forum. If I was a radio tech,I would have fixed it. So if there is someone that can help fine. If not its back to my junk collection of old items.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Sorry about that, I assumed the manuals were freebies. I always thought you were entitled to some hardcopy if you owned the hardware.

With single supply amps, the orientation of the electrolytic caps will show you which trace is ground. If any color code is used, black should be ground and red the +12.

Maybe you can find a car audio forum where people have more experience with the specific hardware.

5. Dingoden

Dec 8, 2008
    It would be nice for the occasional freeby, but as one guy said "There are no free lunches"..

OK, I attached a single speaker and connected up the Kenwwod amp to a DC power supply I used the thin red and bare wire for audio from the source and then used the shield (copper wire) as DC Gd and the orange wire I connected to "turn the amp on", Yep it worked, and as they say the audio was "wall to wall and 6 foot tall". So I'm happy and all is well.

I wish you and all on All About Circuits a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year. Hoping the credit crisis will soon pass and we can again borrow and buy!!:)