Keep voltage constant?

Cerkit

Joined Jan 4, 2009
Hi. what can I use to try and keep a dc voltage stable. Will be using the voltage in calculations so must not let it drop significantly when applying it. Anyone know??

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can use a voltage regulator. In what range is your input voltage varying? How many volts you want the output voltage and how many amps is the maximum output current?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The simple answer is a good DC voltage regulator with suitable transient suppression capacitors.

But for us to address your question more completely, it sure would help if you gave more information - like what is your DC voltage, what will be your average current and peak current, etc.

Cerkit

Joined Jan 4, 2009
The voltage supply is 5V and current is 3A. I have not seen by how much it drops but ideally I want to have 5V after applying it across a circuit.Is this something I could make?

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
I go along with wookie what is the max voltage drift and how acurate does it had to be. I am concerned about how can you use one stady state to compute what?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If the output voltage of your power supply is 5V its probably regulated, ie almost independed of the load current. Measure the voltage with no current flowing out of the supply and then measure it with 3A flowing to see how much it varies.