KAR00044B Opti Switch Datasheet Needed

Mad Professor

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Good Day All.

I am trying to find a datasheet for a KAR00044B Opti Swicth.

From what I have been able to find out on google and yahoo so far is that this unit is made by FairChild.

Using the fairchild current and obsolete product search came up empty.

Back to google, I have found a few pdf's from FairChild regarding design changes to the KAR00044B Opti Swicth, but still no sign of the datasheet it's self.

I have had thease Opti Switches kicking about in my parts box for a number of years now, and I have now found a use for them, if I can find a datasheet.

Does anyone here know where else I might be able to find this datasheet from?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I also did a quick search on Fairchildsemi.com.
There was no match for any current or obsolete part number beginning with KAR0, KARO, KAP0, or KAPO (I tried the P, because it's easy to mistake a P for an R and vice versa)
Is there a manufacturer's logo on the top of the IC?
If so, here's a site where you can match them up:
http://www.advanced-tech.com/ic_logos/ic_logos.htm

There is a company called OptiSwitch
Their website is here: http://www.optiswitch.com/
Contact info:
OptiSwitch Technology Corporation
6355 Nancy Ridge Drive
San Diego, CA 92121-2247

858.452.8787 (Tel)
858.452.8788 (Fax)

sales (at) optiswitch.com (change the " (at) " to "@"; this is to foil spambots)

Mad Professor

Joined Apr 15, 2009
SgtWookie: Thanks for your reply.

I can not see any kind of manufacturer's logo on the unit, the only thing that might be a logo of some sort is a strange "F" infront of the batch or manufacturer date code.

I have just had another look on Fairchildsemi.com at the current products, the closest item I have been able to find so far is QRB1134 Reflective Object Sensor.

Here is a picture of the QRB1134

the QRB1134 unit also has the strange "F" as well, and looking at the manufacturer's logo link you gave it does indeed look like QRB1134 and the KAR00044B are made by Fairchild.

So far hunting around the internet I have been able to find the pin data.

Pin 1: A
Pin 2: K
Pin 3: E
Pin 4: C

I have submitted a datasheet request with Fairchild so all being well I might hear back from them at some point.

Mad Professor

Joined Apr 15, 2009
I have just had a responce from Fairchild, They have told me I can not have the full datasheet for this unit as it is a custom design for a customer, but I can have limited info.

So the next question what data should I ask for?

I know I need to ask for the IR LED, Forward Voltage, Continuous Forward Current so I know what current limiting resistor to use, but I don't know what data I need to ask for with regards to the sensor side.

Thanks for your time.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It shouldn't be too hard to figure it out. After all, you apparently already have the pin data.

Try feeding the IR diode a forward current of 20mA; make sure you don't exceed around 4.5v just in case you have it connected backwards.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Here's a simple test circuit:

I chose 4.5v because not only is it convenient, but it is less than the maximum reverse voltage allowed for the IR LED.

Closing S1 should result in D1 lighting up, if there is a reflective surface very close to the IR LED/phototransistor. Opening S1 should make the LED turn off.

If you're using three 1.5v batteries for Vcc (totalling 4.5v), R1 will limit the current through the IR LED to around 20mA.

With a Vcc of 4.5v, R2 limits the maximum current through the phototransistor to around 17mA. Adding a standard red LED will reduce the current to around 10mA.

Attachments

Mad Professor

Joined Apr 15, 2009
SgtWookie: Thanks again for you time and replys.

I don't have the value resistor you listed, but I have tested with what I found looking in my parts box.

I have tested the IR led from a stable 5volt supply and used a 200ohm resistor, it looks like the IR LED might not be an IR LED, as when powered it is bright red, the LED it's self is clear.

I connected the sensor emitter to ground and the sensor collector to a led via a suitable resistor, but the led fails to light with or without a refelector infront of the unit, If you connect the neg side of the led to ground it lights up fine.

I connected the sensor emitter to ground and the sensor collector to 5volts via a 100k resistor, in a dark room with nothing in front of the unit I get a reading of 4.55volts, and with a refelector aprox 5-6mm infront of the unit the voltage drops to around 0.15volts.

Using a 20k resistor I get a reading of 4.90volts with no refelector and drops down to 0.20volts with the refelector.

Using a 4.7k resistor I get a reading of 4.95volts with no refelector and drops down to 2.40volts with the refelector.

So I have something to get me started with for now.

I have replied to Fairchild asking for any details regarding the Electrical / Optical Characteristics, that they are willing to give me.

Last edited: