Just wondering

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by R!f@@, Jul 4, 2009.

1. R!f@@

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Why there are so many viewed thread with no replies.
    Is it that they donno how to answer or those who looking to steal other ppls ideas.

Rifaa

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    I guess the genius crowd is little low on count.
    This is sad

Rifaa

4. gryskop

Mar 1, 2008
    Many times the topic listed for the thread holds no relevance to the point/question the poster wants to make. You are grabbed by the heading, but once you start reading it's not what you expected.

Many a time it is a simple fact of not knowing the answer to the question.

5. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    Everyone contributes according to their time and ability. It has very little to do with belonging to the "genius crowd." I would guess most of the contributors got to where they are through a lot of hard work over any number of years. It takes dedication and persistence.

And yes, I am sure many people do not respond to the threads that they read because they do not know the answer. There are many reasons for looking at a single thread, and only one of them is to try to answer the question. I have looked at many threads thinking it was an interesting question and I would like to know the answer myself. Everyone has something to learn from the forum if they choose to take advantage of it.

As far as stealing ideas, this is an open forum with over 50,000 members. It may not be the right place to post something that you are trying to keep secret.

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Agreed. The reasons for poor responses to threads are many, and ability is only a small part of that.

I cannot stress how important it is to give a good descriptive title to your thread - most people do not have the time to look at every thread so they will look at the thread title as the only indicator of what a thread is about (we do provide detailed tooltips which give the first couple of lines of a thread as an aid). If your thread shouts "URGENT NEED HELP" it tells the reader nothing and they gloss over it. Then once you get someone to read you thread it is important that the thread is clear and gives the relevant basic information for the casual reader to get a good basic idea of what you are doing so they can give advice and work with you to get an answer - if you can't be bothered to provide the basic information, why should anyone be bothered to probe your question for your benefit. If, after trying to probe the question, the thread is going nowhere the reader stops contributing and the thread dies. The more you put into this forum, the more you will get out of it. That all said, sometimes, people just don't know the answer, and hence cannot offer an answer. There is also the fact that, as an open forum, non-members are free to read any thread however are not permitted to reply to questions which pulls up the "view count".

Having worked with many of the members of All About Circuits for many years, I can assure you the "genius count" is extremely high in an increasingly growing "crowd". Forum growth exhibits the property of reciprocation - the more help people give the more people help.

Dave

7. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    Sometimes the thread is redundant, a simple search should turn up the answers. Sometimes the thread is too broad, like 'I need to build a school project before next Friday', but doesn't give any info on level, experience, or interests. We all have our own projects in the works, and stop by to see what's new, find a few answers, or just burn 15-20 minutes while a board etches...

If you want to get replies to you thread, you need to get people interested in your problem or project. You need to show what you've figured out on your own, and where you need help. Most people will jump in, if you do the basic research, and work. Starting from scratch is the time consuming part, and most people aren't willing to do that for you, maybe sometimes in between projects. Most people are perfectly willing to spend a few minutes correcting or improving your work.

The more you provide, the more you receive. It's really that simple. Also, when you post replies, and help others in a useful manner, your own threads will draw more attention, it shows other members you are serious about electronics and this forum. There are a lot of members who only sign up for quick homework answers, or a final project ready to turn in at the end of the week, when the due date passes, they never return, until the end of the next semester...

8. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    I C :p

Rifaa

9. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    All good points Harvey. The bolded part is the important bit - it is so important to stress this point.

I know from my many discussions with regulars that this is the one thing that annoys them more than anything. A quick "thanks" bodes well for the next time you ask a question because members remember the polite and well-mannered and are more will to reply as a result.

Dave

10. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    I post! :rolleyes:

11. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    Hey ...my Post :rolleyes:
    Boy !! I'll quit wondering here if there are so many answers :cool:
    I think I'll just ask. What we have here is one hell of a community :p

Rifaa