Just some tips on the PIC and LCD

beeson76

Joined Apr 19, 2010
Do you think this problem could be caused by not using th ADCON register? Ive been reading a little about switches on PORTA.

stahta01

Joined Jun 9, 2011
Do you think this problem could be caused by not using th ADCON register? Ive been reading a little about switches on PORTA.
Yes, most if not all of the ports (that can be analog) default to analog I/O; unless they are configure as digital I/O.

Note: I have not looked up your chip to see which pins can be analog I/O.

Tim S.

beeson76

Joined Apr 19, 2010
With help, I may have figured out what is wrong with it, but I need help fixing the problem now:)

I am getting on PORTA along with PORTB 5 volts from pin to ground.

When I hit a switch on PORTB is goes to 0 volts. Which is good I think:)

When I hit a switch on PORTA is goes to 0 volts, but it never gets released. Therefore it acts like a constant switch push.

Any suggestions on how I can fix it, please?:)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
<spam in previous poast reported>

beesom, have you tried using the debugger inside that PicKit yet?

I think it's time you did so. ;)

beeson76

Joined Apr 19, 2010
Thanks Ernie.

I will look into the debugger. Im kinda intimidated by it, because I don't really understand all aspects of it. I have used it before, but I didnt get much out of it.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Thanks Ernie.

I will look into the debugger. Im kinda intimidated by it, because I don't really understand all aspects of it. I have used it before, but I didnt get much out of it.

Oh don't be, it's really your friend. :D

I'd be lost if I didn't have an in circuit debugger. Don't know how I went so long without one.

(Actually, I do know: lots of time in the simulator, then either just flipping pins as a state flag or best when I started strapping alphanumeric displays on my creations).

CraigHB

Joined Aug 12, 2011
When I first started working with PICs my first device was a programmer without in-circuit debugging. I got by with just the simulator, but once I got a better device and was able to debug in-circuit, it helped quite a bit. Your in-circuit debugger is probably your best friend, next to the simulator. I'd never be able to do a project without either of them.