Just received new PICkit, what have I gotten in to???

mrtom

Joined Oct 25, 2008
I expected to open my Fedex box containing my PICkit 2 and find the hardware shown in the advertisement (which I did), and a few software documents and compilers (which I didn't). Instead there are 100s of documents on 2 CDs, some of which seem to describe HW that is not part of the PICkit 2 (e.g. a 134 page document on how to use a MPLAB PM3 device), and most others that don't seem pertinent to programming/operating my PICkit 2. I really thought that all I would need to begin programming was a compiler, an instruction sheet and tutorial, and the associated hardware.

I am pursuing this new 'hobby' alone and therefore have no one to learn from, but I was hoping that it would be not unreasonably hard to learn how to do some basic programming and get a PIC up and running. With 2 kids, job, etc., I don't have loads of spare time. I'm beginning to wonder if I haven't completely fooled myself, and that here is a whole lot more to this than I imagined. :confused:

I would be extremely grateful if someone could tell me exactly where the compiler/s and intruction doc/s are, and exactly what documents on these 2 CDs are needed to operate/program/debug the PICkit 2, and if all these other docs are actually pertinent.

Thanks for your help!

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
The most important documents you need are the manual of the compiler which describes how to use it and gives you the valid code words you have to use according which language does this compiler accepts. Also, you will need the software for the programmer device and its manual and some tutorial to see somehow the structure of a program.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Basically all you need to go with your PICkit is a copy of MPLAB on your computer. This is the Microchip IDE (intergrated development environment) and it should be on one of your disks. It contains your program editor, assembler, compiler, linker and various debug and programming tools including the drivers for the PICkit.
I think the assembler manual comes as part of the MPLAB installation but if not you should find it on one of the disks.