just need to brag to some EE nerd types a bit...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by kingdano, Jul 13, 2010.

1. kingdano

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2010
    if anyone remembers my royer circuit thread from a while back this is related.

turns out that circuit may need ot be re-designed, and since i am the only EE on the project i will be the one doing it.

i contacted linear tech and jim williams called me back and left a voice mail...hard to think of a better guy to assist me with a royer design.

anyone else ever worked with an industry guru?

this will def be my first go round in a scenario like this, usually i just get help from the most senior EE who works here.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Ed Yourdon was a consultant at ComShare in the late 60's where I worked as a junior programmer.

http://www.yourdon.com/

Over a weekend, he wrote in longhand with a felt tip marker, a PDP-8 Cross Assembler for the SDS-940 in assembly language. It was handed to me at 8:00 AM Monday morning. I used a model 33 Teletype to key it in and except for some very minor problems was working by Tuesday afternoon. It was the most incredible demonstration of bug free coding I have ever seen before or since.

3. kingdano

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2010
    crazy

he wrote the entire thing by hand....didnt check it once....and then you took it and typed it in and it worked in a day or two?

good god.

what a maniac.

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    That is essentially correct, the way it happened. I doubt he'd remember it however. He's been a giant for nearly half a century.

5. kingdano

Thread Starter Member

Apr 14, 2010
    for him it was probably poorly written.
    :D

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Gee I dunno. I learned an awful lot about cross assemblers, symbol tables, searching, sorting, matching and so forth. For me it was an awesome educational exercise.