Just for fun, and an exercise for some -

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Goldmine just got in a handy little transformer at a somewhat reasonable price. I immediately saw it as an ideal building block for a small benchtop power supply that many beginning exerimenters could use.

As if I really need any more supplies around here I'm probably going to build one anyway with the idea of shooting for the best compromise of size vs. incorporated functionality.

Let's see how the various members would go about putting something together, trying to keep the costs minimal yet still using commonly available parts most anyone could esily come up with.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=g17913

I'm easily seeing a +/- supply for op amp usage and a switch that would allow the windings to be used in series for a single but higher voltage capable supply.

This is just a basic practice exercise for most of the beginners that, in the end, could benefit a lot of people that were just starting out.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The price is right. You can bolt it in place upside down and use point-to-point wiring with heat shrink to catch the PCB leads.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
The price is right. You can bolt it in place upside down and use point-to-point wiring with heat shrink to catch the PCB leads.
I've found it's handy to keep an assortment of tiny socket pins around for when you need to solder a wire to a PCB mount device and it doesn't want to cooperate. If you're good at soldering they can still be unplugged as well.

Thing is most of these devices labeled as "PC Pins" have pretty long pins to begin with and rarely pose a soldering problem.