Just another mosfet AC switch thread

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by abuster, May 25, 2011.

1. abuster

abuster Thread Starter New Member

Hi there!
    I've used days searching and reading forums for finding a good solution to switch AC with mosfets in totem, source-to-source. TRIAC is not an option, as I want to switch of in other times than phase-over(PWM, reverse phase dimmer, etc). SSR are overkill, and to expensive.

Like many others, I stranded upon the problem with the floating source, and found solutions with a photovoltaic optocoupler. But, the photovoltaic optocouplers available from my supplier are pretty expensive.

So, I made a circuit with LTspice, using a rectifier and a optocoupler with transistor output. That way, I can feed the mosfet gate with a positive/negative pulse.

The cheap optocouplers usally have about 10+us on/off time, so that will be a limitation with high frequency switching(for example 100khz PWM).

This seems to work, but I wondered if any of you had real life experince with this type of setup?

The application will be fed with 12VAC. The load will be max 50-100W resistive. The models used are random, and I will adjust that to my application(Rds on, max current, max gate-source/drain-source voltage, type of optocoupler, etc).

[​IMG]
  2. abuster

And, the controlling pulse will be 5V from a micro controller. :)
  3. JDT

JDT Well-Known Member

The simple way to do this is by connecting two N-channel mosfets in series as shown.

This works because fets are actually bi-directional. A positive voltage on the gate (with respect to the source) switches the channel to a low resistance regardless of the direction of current in the channel. So if you choose a fet with a sufficiently low on resistance, the body diode on the reversed fet will not conduct. This can make a very low voltage drop AC switch.

I have used this circuit to switch 24VAC 250W halogen lamps with high efficiency.

Be careful though: Make sure that the voltage on the gate is either zero or sufficient to switch full-on. Even during power up. Or your fet will be quickly destroyed. I know from experience!

Another complication: Your drive circuit will probably have to be isolated from your micro-controller. As the sources are probably at some unknown AC voltage. A small floating power supply or DC-DC converter might have to be used. Unless your complete micro-controller circuit is attached to the sources.

Attached Files:

4. abuster

Thanks for sharing your experience.

As you say, the complication lays in ground level, and floating mosfet source.

The way I planned to do it, was to set one of the AC phases as common ground(the circuit will be totally isolated from touching), and have +/- DC floating from that level. That way, the sources at the mosfets will float to a minus voltage when the body diode of the upper mosfet is forwarded. As you state, this will potentially burn the mosfets, if the gate is not at a lower voltage.

A problem with this, might be that gate-source voltage gets to high. When not conduction, we have potentially -17V(minus body-diode drop) amplitude plus the +/-17 voltage.

Do you have any schematics how you made it work with isolated DC on the micro-controller?
  5. abuster

Actually, as my simulation shows, the sources are pulled against ground level when load is above the mosfet totem and gate rising from -16V. Maybe the optocouplers rise-time is enough to get a smooth transistion, and not blow the mosfets because of the +-20V gate-source voltage limitation.

Attached Files:

6. JDT

JDT Well-Known Member

There are many ways of doing this but consider that

• The MOSFET must always be fully OFF or fully ON
    • The gate has a high capacitance, so to switch the transistor fast the driver must be able to sink and source high currents.
    • There needs to be an under-voltage lockout so that the transistor can never be partially on when the supply voltage is low.
    I suggest using a mosfet driver IC. It's all on the chip. An example driver circuit is attached. I have used an opto-coupler and a small DC-DC converter. Gate current is only needed when switching so only a small supply current is needed. It is possible to get the supply current from the AC supply itself using diodes and resistors.

Attached Files:

cmartinez likes this.
  7. abuster

Thanks. One step further to prototype:D