just acquired Tektronix Scope, need advice

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Cbntmkr, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Cbntmkr

Thread Starter Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I just purchased a used Tektronic oscilloscope 2430. It comes without probes. I see a lot of probes on ebay in the $20.00 range. Would these work? Where would i look elsewhere for probes? Also any advice regarding the operation of the probe would be helpful. I know absolutely nothing about them. I'm an electronics beginner fooling around with arduinos and the like.
  2. bertus

Apr 5, 2008
  3. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    The original probes for that O'scope were the Tektronix P6137, which have been discontinued and replaced with the P6138A passive probes.
    They are 10x probes with a 400MHz bandwidth, small geometry tips, and a readout. They're not cheap; around $350 or so each new.

If you're just going to putter around with low frequency hobby circuits, the cheap 1x/10x 100MHz E-bay probes will work OK, but won't be adequate for digital circuits operating above a few MHz. Square waves are the sum of all of the odd harmonics of the fundamental frequency, so you need a lot of bandwidth to see a reasonably accurate representation of the signal. My cheap 1x/10x 100MHz probes are inadequate for viewing a 20MHz digital signal on my 'scopes.