Jury Duty Letter Today

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I've never tried to get excused (from regular jury duty) before but this is a special jury panel for 4 weeks starting at the end of July. Oh, why couldn't the trial be scheduled in the 9 months when the weather sucks here. :(

I can only hope for a quick settlement or plea if selected. Crap, Crap, Crap.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
We're you enpaneled on the jury?

The last one I went to, I know they wouldn't want me on by my answers. They had it enpaneled just before the got to me.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
From my experience with the jury selection process, the prosecution and defense seem to avoid having critical thinkers deciding the case.

I've been through the selection process 6 times and after they ask me about my occupation (electronic maintenance technician supervisor), I get rejected. Maybe it's actually due to the way I part my hair or button my shirt, but it I suspect they really want Average Joe types -not analytical nerds like me.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I've never tried to get excused (from regular jury duty) before but this is a special jury panel for 4 weeks starting at the end of July. Oh, why couldn't the trial be scheduled in the 9 months when the weather sucks here. :(

I live in a sparsely populated county so they call me about once a year. But you can only be called every 2 years by law.
Last time it was in Phoenix - about 110 miles away, but I was released in the first wave. I have never actually served, but have spent a lot of hours waiting.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
We're you enpaneled on the jury?

The last one I went to, I know they wouldn't want me on by my answers. They had it enpaneled just before the got to me.
I just got the special jury summons. The language is:

You are hereby summoned to serve as a juror in the Circuit Court of xxx for a special jury panel. Your service is for one trial which is estimated to last 4 weeks starting at ... date.

I'm sure there will be the regular “ Voir dire” but I seem to always get picked.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I live in a sparsely populated county so they call me about once a year. But you can only be called every 2 years by law.
Last time it was in Phoenix - about 110 miles away, but I was released in the first wave. I have never actually served, but have spent a lot of hours waiting.
Just curious, do you live in the Cottonwood/Sedona area or Tucson?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I look forward to jury duty. Last time, I got to put away a bad dude for aggravated battery. Much fun!
I normally don't mind a quick 2 or 3 day trial but a month of driving or taking public transportation to the downtown Portland freak-show at 7am sucks.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In my (one) jury experience, the parties, "settled" just as the jury walked in. Lawyer driven brinkmanship, I suppose.
One of my friends was happy to get an innocent man out of the clutches of a perjuring police officer.
"He was lying and laughing about it."

If you do get stuck doing this job, I hope it's a worthwhile cause...not some penny ante, "contempt of cop" case.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
In my (one) jury experience, the parties, "settled" just as the jury walked in. Lawyer driven brinkmanship, I suppose.
One of my friends was happy to get an innocent man out of the clutches of a perjuring police officer.
"He was lying and laughing about it."

If you do get stuck doing this job, I hope it's a worthwhile cause...not some penny ante, "contempt of cop" case.
I can see what's on the docket for our court room only the day before duty. If it's a penny ante case or some sex crime against a child with a 4 week schedule I'll be the Mad Hatter the next day in the jury panel.

I was the jury foreman once in a trial, that was really cool. We changed the mind of two people for a guilty verdict during deliberations.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have wondered: How convoluted must a case be that it takes weeks to present the evidence? I'm a very incisive person. I have a talent for boiling things down to one or two sentences. What kind of prosecution takes weeks to present, and doesn't the very laboriousness of that process cast doubt on the whole premise of the charges? Like, what kind of person could conceive of a crime that requires weeks to describe?

Probably showing my ignorance, but I feel I must have had a charmed life to be so ignorant of this process.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008

When the DA or whoever is vetting the jury and asks if there are any questions, just say, "Can you explain the jury nullification process to me?" Nothing will get you thrown off a jury faster. :)

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
nsa, I got that same letter about a year ago. I called the bailiff, and explained that I had been looking forward to jury duty all my life. Told him that if someone didn't show up, please call me. I would always be available.

Called in every morning, and never got called. IF you WANT jury duty, you will never get it.

The more you want it, the lower on the list you go. Act eager.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I was the jury foreman once in a trail, that was really cool. We changed the mind of two people for a guilty verdict during deliberations.
I was the foreman in the above mentioned jury. There were two 'holdouts' -- young SJWs -- who didn't want to vote guilty. They were also lazy, disinterested, and wanted to go home. I told them we had three options:

1. They could vote guilty;
2. We could stay until I convinced them of the defendant's guilt;
3. We could stay until they convinced me (and the other jurors) of the defendant's innocence.

We were out five minutes later with a guilty verdict.

During jury selection, the public defender (who, by the way, was worth every cent the defendant paid him...) asked me:

"Would you be able to stay objective even if you thought I, or my client, was a total s*ithead?"

I responded:

"I think everyone is a s*ithead."

The whole courtroom cracked up -- followed by the judge's gavel. Somehow, I got the job.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
And about that public defender:

He was stupid enough to stipulate that a crime had been committed. Had he not done that, there would have been no way for us to find the defendant guilty. In other words, there was no evidence that a crime actually happened, but once stipulated, the available evidence clearly demonstrated that the defendant was the perpetrator.

I wanted to find the defender guilty.