Junk Removal Tool

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by studiot, Mar 8, 2015.

1. studiot

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    I am testing a new (to me) tool jrt.exe.

Anyone got any experience of this one?

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Will it dispose of the junk I've accumulated in my garage over the years? :D

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

It all depends on what the definition of junk is.

Bertus

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I thought the title and question were clear enough.

Here's one of several reviews for those who were unsure: http://download.cnet.com/Junkware-Removal-Tool/3000-8022_4-75910255.html

As for studiot's question. Wish I could help. Like many, maybe all people, I have been trapped by so-called junk removal tools and ended up with even more junk. So, while I can't help, I am eager to find out what you decide to do.

John

5. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    What is Junk any ways.
    I do not accumulate junk.

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  7. studiot

Nov 9, 2007
    Well I have not found one that "Kills all known germs"
    So another one is always welcome, and jrt was recommended by a tech news-service I subscribe to.

It did find the tarma installer (not a welcome program) on my pc and some stuff on another W7 one.

I like ADWcleaner, Hitmanpro, SuperAntiSpyware amongst others.

But I will keep evaluating it.
    It certainly has done no harm.

8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Personally I've used "CrapCleaner" for years and been very happy with the results.

9. studiot

Nov 9, 2007
    Be warned that obtaining jrt or other stuff from the CNet link in Bertus post may involve you in also getting stuff you didn't want if you click the wrong button.

CCleaner is a different sort of program, very useful to run before a virus scan ( you do run these regularly don't you?) as it can greatly reduce the scan time.

10. stormbay

Dec 25, 2014
    Never had any junk programs, software, viruses or bugs since started using open source 10 years ago, Never run into anyone else using linux that has had any need to remove junk, as they don't get any. The company I work for was forever combating junk, attacks an viruses as it works with lots of USA based business and they ate over flowing with it. Since they switched to linux about 7 years ago, our IT costs have dropped to almost zero and never experienced any form of junk, worms, viruses or attacks. They recently got rid of the last windows PC, because of the never ending problems with 8.1 and the increased stream of junk coming through it, XP wasn't to bad, but since every release has got worse.

11. studiot

Nov 9, 2007
    Do the Inland Revenue wages and tax programs work on linux?

12. stormbay

Dec 25, 2014
    Wouldn't know, I'm in Aus and our linux systems handles POS, tax, GST and BAS requirements with no problems.