Juice of lemon and its nutrients

Discussion in 'General Science' started by Lightfire, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Hello,

After searching a few days ago, I found out that lemon has a citric acid that can be used to produce an electricity.

Now, I want to get the juice of a lemon and put it in a beaker so that I could put the copper strip and zinc strip there.

But the problem of mine is that I want the color of the juice which is something orange yellowish will turn to a colorless one (I mean in colorless, like a color of a water).

At the same time, I still want its nutrients to be there, especially the citric acid even though the color has gone.

Now, I don't know of any machine that will do the above mentioned. But I hope that there is.

Please help me.

Lightfire

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The only thing about lemon juice that works for batteries is the citric acid, the rest is contaminants. If you have money to burn you can buy powered citric acid off the shelf. It is a fine white powder.

Thing to remember about batteries is almost any acid will work. I like citric acid because it is among the safest out there. It is actually an organic chemical that is also an acid.

You won't get much juice out of one of these batteries, but it works.

You can also use coins. Stack a few together of different types, they should be different colors, and then try lighting an LEDs. Because the battery is so weak you will not need resistors. Measure the voltage you generate with your DVM.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
    Lightfire likes this.
  3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The following page of the EDUCYPEDIA has a lot of links on "home made batteries":
    Home made batteries

Bertus

Lightfire likes this.
  4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    If you have white vinegar that would work, but I suspect the solution will change colour after a while as the electrode dissolves.

Lightfire likes this.
  5. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    Hydrous citric acid is a clear, colorless liquid. You might be able to filter most of the color out of lemon juice, but I imagine that would not be an efficient way to get citric acid. Then you'd need to evaporate it to get it to maximum strength. It's a pretty weak acid at best. I think you'd be better off to buy anhydrous citric acid powder and mix it with water.

Why do you need the 'nutrients' still there? You do not expect to be able to consume this at some point after using it as a battery, do you?

Lightfire likes this.
  6. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I want a clear liquid with a citric acid so that I could use that as abattery even for a little period of time. :) I can't use the sulfuric acid because i'm afraid and am not allowed. :) I want clear because sulfuric acid's color is clear. pls. help if ok and can be.
    ok?

catapult

7. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    Sulfuric acid, in high concentration, is actually yellowish.

As stated before, you could try acetic acid (the acid in white vinegar). Much cheaper than citric acid and should be easily available in any drug store/pharmacy/chemist or even photographic supply store as it is used a a fixer/stop bath in black and white photography.

They are both weak acids. Much weaker than sulfuric, but acetic is a bit stronger than citric, more readily available in pure form and would make a better battery.

Even though they are weak acids, both acetic and citric acid can irritate or harm the skin in higher concentrations. Use caution.

8. Johnny Nelson

Aug 19, 2011
    I believe you could even use concentrated vinegar which you can buy in most grocery stores

Lightfire likes this.