joystick basics help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Frank10070, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Frank10070

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 4, 2015
    i have 2 dc motors which i want to control with a joystick, which i currently control using 2 dpdt switches. I bought a ready-made H-bridge circuit with 4 input pins to indicate L/R/U/D from joystick but have no idea how this should work. i connected the ground pins of the joystick chained and the NO pin of each to each pin of the h-bridge pin input.

Can anyone give me idea what i am doing wrong here? What exactly happens when a joystick switch is closed?

Really appreciate your help.

2. Frank10070

Feb 4, 2015
    For the sake of clarity, the joystick i am using is a 4-way arcade joystick and the dc motors are 2-wire 12v dc motors. A circuit diagram can be enough to get me to understand what i am doing wrong. Ideally i don't want to use a microcontroller.

Thanks guys.
  3. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    I'm guessing the type of joystick you want is the very old fashioned analog, potentiometer type. Those were replaced with digital devices quite a long time ago. Can you tell what is inside your joystick?

Please also provide a link to your H-bridge device. You need 2 bridges, one for each axis. If you expect proportional control, you'll need speed control using PWM.
  4. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    Can you provide any pictures of what you have and what you are doing? Things work a lot faster on this forum with pics and wiring diagrams.
  5. Frank10070

Feb 4, 2015
    thanks wayneh for your reply. the joystick has 4 switches with one common ground, one NO pin and one NC pin. The h-bridge has 4 logical inputs at 5V, so my problem is how to pass the 5V high from the NO pin to one of these 4 inputs. No positive voltage connects to the joystick. Do i need pull-up / pull-down resistors or something similar to trigger the input pin?
    The h-bridge has 2 outputs one for each motor and the output 12V will pass through a pwm circuit that has a display to control it.

Thanks. Any help greatly appreciated.