Jovian Radio

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi guys.

I've settled on a project to get me sunk into.

http://www.spaceacademy.net.au/spacelab/projects/jovrad/jovrad.htm

I've been looking at a number of websites about listening to Jupiter's radio emissions (Jupiter and Io make the biggest circuit in the Solar system!) and I would quite like to follow this one, as it seems to be the clearest on setup.

However, I do not know how to make a suitable reciever.

Could you guys help me find one?

Many thanks - I will post results if you like - when it works. :D

Sparky

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It depends on how much you have to spend. Since I already have an Amateur Radio License I would use my K3 which is arguably one of the best receivers that you can buy. It has wideband filters installed for broadcast reception between the ham bands, as well as a 13 KHz and a 6 kHz filter. This will cover the 10-25 MHz range mentioned in the article. I also have the P3 Pan Adapter, that shows a 200 kHz wide swath of spectrum along with a waterfall display.

I'm sure there are other receivers that you could acquire that would do the job. Checkout, Ham Radio Outlet, Amateur Electronic Supply, and Universal Radio for "Communications Receivers"

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If you want to listen to the ham radio bands or any other frequency from 10 kHz to 30 Mhz, you can listen online to this websdr radio:
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
This radio is located at the University of Twente in Enschede, Holland.
(you need java installed to be able to listen).

You can select a frequency with a left mouse click on the frequency line.
You can zoom in on frequencies using the mouse wheel inside the waterfall.
You can shift the waterfall with the left mouse button and drag.

Bertus

tinamishra

Joined Dec 1, 2012
Most of the Jovian decametric radio radiation discernible with ground-based receiving instrumentation lies within the frequency vary from concerning four to thirty-nine.5 MHz. though the received intensities are most around eight megacycle and fall rather quickly on top of this frequency, most observations are created within the frequency vary of fifteen megacycle to twenty five megacycle wherever interference from shortwave radio stations is tolerable. Observations at frequencies approaching four megacycle are created once ionospheric conditions enable, around spot minimum.