Joule Heating

etuzuner

Joined Mar 21, 2009
Hi,

I'm a grad student. I'm searching thermal effects on an oil immersed transformer. I took many courses about communication but I want to move on EM now. Here is my question: When I searched on internet, I've learned that the beginning for thermal effects is Joule Heating. I've been searching for a long time but I couldn't find anything useful. Maybe the problem is me, I don't know. If you can help me about this subject or give me any advice or something like that, I really appreciate.

Thanks for your interests,

Best Regards

Emre

etuzuner

Joined Mar 21, 2009
Dear t_n_k,

Actually I need some formulized equations. Do you know anything about these?

Best Regards,

Emre

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I see.

There are obviously software tools that are used for transformer design and they are probably targeted at particular design areas - mains distribution, consumer electrical / electronics etc.

A casual scan on Google gave some typical commercial suppliers ....

http://www.softbitonline.com/transformerContents.html

http://www.rale.ch/

I'll have a look around and see if there are any other sources - perhaps a detailed text on practical transformer design might be readily available. I imagine transformer designers each have their own "rules of thumb" as well as particular design formulae.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I found some interesting chapter on transformers in the "Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers" by Fink et. al. Oil cooling is mentioned there.

As good a starting place as any I guess.

Some formulas are included but maybe not what you're seeking, exactly. As I suggested previously, they are perhaps more akin to "rules of thumb" - but well proven over many years of design experience.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You want find much on oil filled transfomers,they have not been used since epa restricted there use. Danger,fire explosion,deformed babies.
Companies can't get insurance.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Power plants would be at risk for employee cancer,accidents,hurricane
damage.I think the insurance is the bigger thing. Some governments
may allow them for cost and not having to answer to the people.
Try general electric and westinghouse they build large transformers.

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I not sure about power companies using oil filled transformer out
doors.Regulation of power transformer.The regulaltion of a power
transformer is the rise in secondary terminal voltage,when fullload
is thrown off. It is expressed as a percent of full load voltage.
The regulation of a transformer in creases as the power factor
becomes more lagging due to inductive loads. Only a formula
to to release excess moisture,Still looking for a voltage formula.
Olny the induction formula for now,for what its worth.

Last edited:

etuzuner

Joined Mar 21, 2009
Thanks everyone for your comments. But I need a formulization. I should check the program outputs in a way which I think is the best because it seems like I'm making mistakes. I have to learn it.

Best Regards,

Emre

Last edited: