johnwestmids - welder project

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You sent me an E-mail which contained:

Hello, Sorry to bother you ime a newbie and been reading a few posts and getting confused dont know much about electrics what ime trying to build is a ac to dc power supply,,, I have got 4 off dioads 400Amps @200 volts so far ? But dont know what else i need ,The power supply is for a welder
First of all, I don't help anyone via PM's or E-mails - so I have no idea why you chose to E-mail me. It needlessly delayed you getting a response, besides making it necessary for me to deal with yet another E-mail.

Secondly, I have no clue whether you are trying to repair a welder, or trying to build one from scratch.

When you see this thread, you should subscribe to it, as you will then be notified via E-mail when the thread receives new replies.

I had been reading some of the other posts and you seemed to be the best person that had replyed to the other posts on a similer item,,, so if its upset you sorry for asking for your help

First of all appoligies to anybody ive upset???
I m a newby and have brought an add on inverta type welder and was sold it secondhand and was told i could just connect it to an ARC welder?? but come with no leads or paper work and found out it needs a DC power supply as the welder is AC output ? ( welde is NEWARC viper 200 ),, I have mannaged to get hold of 4 diodes 400 AMPs @ 200 volts but dont know what else i need to build a supply AS not being electrical person looking for a diagram and a list of other parts I/we will need so can get an electrition to build it for me all help wil be appreciated,,,john

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I think your much better going and buying a proper PS then trying to make one. Your talking about a lot of energy that if not exactly right can kill you. Then figure in the durability issues and paying an EE to assemble your PS. You can pick up some aboslutely bad ass old commercial supplies on ebay for cheapo.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I had been reading some of the other posts and you seemed to be the best person that had replyed to the other posts on a similer item,,, so if its upset you sorry for asking for your help
You're new, and you are not familiar with the way the board works.

What you don't realize is that I (and a number of other regulars) get E-mails and PM's all the time with requests for help. It gets so bad that I intermittently have to turn off my PM's and E-mails, as it's just too much to deal with.

Sending E-mail or PM's with requests for help when a thread has not been started is counterproductive. It delays your receiving a response, you don't get knowledgeable input from other members, and instead of having a nicely organized thread in which ideas are presented and refined, you have a jumble of disjointed messages in your E-mail/PM inboxes/outboxes. It also makes a great deal more work for the person you have sent the PM/E-mail to, as they have to deal with it in some manner.

It also violates the intent of the AAC board, which is sharing knowledge and ideas.

I no longer even reply to E-mails from AAC members that I don't know, as that could easily result in me getting spammed.

I hope you don't think this is unreasonable. It's really the only way that I can function on the board - keep the questions/answers in threads.

There ARE times where a PM/E-mail may be appropriate; such as if a thread you started had not received a reply for several days, where you had an ongoing conversation with one or more members and there were still unresolved issues.

I know things can be found on flebay but as said dont know exactly what i need? all i know is i need a converter from ac to dc but dont know anything else,,, all i know been told need diods and other things smothing condencers or somthing?? Ive got the 4 diodes but want to know what else i need,,,helpppp please,,

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The first one was started by SgtWookie due to the email you send him.
The other looked like a reply,
I merged them to have question and reply together..

Bertus

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hello,

The first one was started by SgtWookie due to the email you send him.
The other looked like a reply,
I merged them to have question and reply together..

Bertus
You should of just let the sgt wookie one die off and left the reply alone. They both kinda look like semi-asses in the first post. :) I kid, sorta.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This thread seems to be about connecting 4 diodes directly in a full bridge to the mains to get high current DC. I am not even sure the OP needs that (language seems to be a barrier), but it sounds dangerous from the word go. Why is it still open?

John

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
First of all apologies to anybody I've upset???

I'm a newbie, and have bought an add-on inverta type welder and was sold it secondhand and was told i could just connect it to an ARC welder?
I'm sorry, but I do not know what you mean by an add-on inverta type welder.

Did you mean "inverter-type welder"?

but come with no leads or paper work and found out it needs a DC power supply as the welder is AC output ? ( welder is NEWARC viper 200 )
Did you mean Newarc Viper 2000?
Link:
http://www.newarc.co.uk/products/details.asp?companyid=1&contentid=1&forceid=0&sid=124758&itemid=33
I have managed to get hold of 4 diodes 400 AMPs @ 200 volts but dont know what else i need to build a supply AS not being electrical person looking for a diagram and a list of other parts I/we will need so can get an electrition to build it for me all help wil be appreciated.

John
John, at this point all I have is questions. I cannot find any information about a Newarc Viper 200, only the Newarc Viper 2000 shows up on Internet searches.

I suggest what you need to do is write to the Newarc company and asked them for documentation for the exact model that you have. At least then you will be able to tell us what your requirements are.

However, since you say you do have a Newarc, why don't you simply ask them what kind of power supply they initially provided with it, and do they have another model that is suitable for use with your unit?

Apparently, you're across the big pond from me, and I don't know how things work over there. Here in the States, energy efficiency is all the rage nowadays. I can only imagine that it's just as much or more so in the UK.

Building a high-power inverter circuit that's safe, efficient and reliable will be a rather large task, even for someone with several years of experience.

I suggest that you purchase an appropriate off-the-shelf solution rather than trying to build your own.

Sorry missed the 0 of the end it is a viper 2000,,, ive been intouch with the makers and they tell me you connect it to a D/C genarater/ ARC welder I/e DC power supply as dont want to buy another genarater/arc welder just need a good DC power supply been told i need 4 diodes / heat sinks smoothing capasiters and a chock?? the problem is what smoothing capasiters and chock do i nedd??? and how to connect them togeather??,,,,

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You're in the UK, right? And your mains power is 220V 50Hz AC, right?

If so, you will need a large step-down transformer, rated for perhaps 50v-60v.

The trouble here is that the pamphlet states that the input voltage is 40v-100v and the output current is up to 200A, but it does not give an average nor peak power requirement for the input DC source. With the information given, there is no way to determine that requirement.

You need to inquire from Newarc what is needed as far as VA (volt-amperes) or Watts for the input.

You cannot simply connect some diodes and capacitors to the mains, as it would be very dangerous. You must have isolation from mains power; that can only be provided by a transformer that has a secondary winding which is electrically isolated from the primary winding. Besides, 220VAC rectified and filtered would result in over 300V DC, which would destroy your Viper 2000.

Last edited:
This thread seems to be about connecting 4 diodes directly in a full bridge to the mains to get high current DC. I am not even sure the OP needs that (language seems to be a barrier), but it sounds dangerous from the word go. Why is it still open?

John
To start with the bridge is over 140 volts AC MAX its to go on the main leads Positve and negative out of an ARC welder to give me a 140 volt MAX DC supply???
And the reason its still open is because if its done right its not dangerous?
When i find out how to build one with the right circute all will be well but wont start making anything till then,,,

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
To start with the bridge is over 140 volts AC MAX its to go on the main leads Positve and negative out of an ARC welder to give me a 140 volt MAX DC supply???
And the reason its still open is because if its done right its not dangerous?
When i find out how to build one with the right circute all will be well but wont start making anything till then,,,
You still need to find out the input power requirement, both typical and peak, before you can even begin to build or buy a supply.

But in the interim, you could use four to seven 12v deep-cycle type batteries wired in series to operate the welder. Rather difficult to lug about though... :rolleyes:

Cannot you just buy the power supply from the manufacturer? Or just ask the guy that sold it to you.
The makers dont sell power supplys for this as you use a diesel/petrol generater to run it on DC, ,,, Thats why its called an ADD on inverter ??

The person that sold it me of flebay is no longer a seller they Banned him as was advertised with leads and paperwork BUT came with none of them Tryed several ways to contact him and its no good,,,so left on my own :confused: to sort it out???

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The person that sold it me of flebay is no longer a seller they Banned him
thats a good sign. :rolleyes:

How about on the unit itself.

Is there a plate on the back of the unit that has the input / output ratings?

Is this the Two-Hundred (200) or the Two-Thousand (2000) series?

Can you see the area where the power supply plugs in? Does it have an input voltage requirement or a recommendation printed anywhere?