Job ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am curious how before the internet one would typically look for jobs?

Was it only thru word of mouth , newspapers , and actual travel/observation/asking at certain locations.

Now that the career sites are around or job fairs are around I would believe most people after school or when trying to find work uses those means over the newspapers ....

Please post your thoughts on how people look for jobs. ( or what you think the majority do to find work)
Curious how you guys found your job or your next job... As it mostly internet what about you old timers that are before the internet era or don't uses a computer that much???

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Well, I was before the Internet. Mostly newspaper, phone calls, sending PAPER resumes out.
Even checking the obituaries, from companies who paid more.;)

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
What happens if I know somebody that needs work , is not a good worker because he only works good when there is something he is passion it about.
But knows he needs to work, no companies currently will hire him, he can't get unemployment.

He is willing to work pretty much anywhere provided the company pays for a living quarter since he can't move because he is unsure of a permanent move/doesn't have the money.

So what would one do in this cases... remember he is not a good worker but he tries.

Money kind of restricts us all into do things we don't want to. So it is only logic that since everybody needs money everybody should have the ability to find a job to support his living quality. If not then somebody else should have to and let the person be.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Well, I was before the Internet. Mostly newspaper, phone calls, sending PAPER resumes out.
Even checking the obituaries, from companies who paid more.;)
Yes , but other then the newspapers how did you get the phone numbers , addresses and paper resumes sent out to the companies?
Did you like just travel around and when you saw a company you gave your resume out, or did you ask them for there address ,or some other means.

Just wondering on how one goes about finding work , and where was the high pay or good paying jobs located . I would probably say not the newspaper...
So if there was recruiting services before the internet then how did you know/they know to get in touch with you ???

Was it something like you just open the yellow pages and look for jobs or recruiting services ,...etc.

If people around a person don't want to help then they shouldn't have harmed the person in anyway oops to late I guess .. sometimes it is reversible to fix ... then again an eye for eye or a tooth or a tooth comes into thoughts, as well as turn the other cheek wonder what people think... sure I guess it depends on the receiving side or not

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Mathematics, have you lived in a bubble your whole life? The questions you have asked from your first post are things that people learn;
1. In school
2. in interaction with family members and friends, just by listening to people talk when growing up.
3. have nothing at all to do with the premiss of this forum/site. How did you chose to ask these questions here?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
/my disability is I can't listen very well...
along with forgetfulness and caring

regardless of if you believe these questions to be trivial they are still questions and if I checked they are posted in the off-topic section of allaboutcircuits

is there a restriction on the off-topic section as well

I contemplate as we over populate the world will there be more restrictions on what people can and can't do.
And if so the strong don't necessarily survive going by Darwin... that would be the fat stupid rich people that do.
Only because one must follow the laws set by them... sort of a catch 22....

remember if you are going to leave a person alone make sure money/resources are not an issue
Also people influencing/affect a persons life can make that person break the law .. so then who gets to judge if one is forced ... or forced to do something to sustain there life then deprive them of that regardless of weather they can or can't do what you ask.

And if you are going to give somebody everything he wants make sure he agrees to it before he is surprised by your misunderstanding... see its all a communication thing which I am not good at :) .

Remember what comes around goes around

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Mathematics,

Let's get to your friend, you know the one who doesn't work well, except in their own narrow "passionate" arena.

If you were the owner of a company, would you hire them if you didn't produce or repair any products in that narrow "passionate" arena?

I use to get calls a lot concerning some of my people being transferred. Most wanted to get the scoop on them as workers. I would praise those that deserved praise and simply told whoever called to "not" pick up those that were not worthy.

If they wanted to know more, I would say, for a Second Class Petty Officer (E-5), they do great work for a Seaman Apprentice (E-2). And their performance evaluations would reflect that skill level.

I wouldn't want your friend working for me.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You need to read a jobs chart put out by the labor department. It says in so many

words ,read this information..but don't depend on it to keep your job. Before you are

hired you don't have much to say about anything. Most people don't get past the

human resource department, no job. Good Luck

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
so then if there is no means to get work for money... how is my friend going to pay for his needs ?

There should at least be away to pay for your needs always or then what the heck? The rule should be you should beable to break the laws to get your needs with nothing held against you...

Either way my friend has some problems but he hasn't really broken any major laws or harmed anybody so in this case what should he do to survive?
He could not live in a jail/or hospital he would probably end up committing suicide and that would be societies fault for forcing him there. I feel bad for him but the selfish world doesn't.

And let me correct you on this
own narrow "passionate" arena
Is much larger then any one companies arena of expertise. Though he just lost the passion for it... however he knows he needs to work but can't find work.

And his situation was most likely caused by other people that is his loss in passion. Though he still tries to improve himself to the best of his ability

He has tried consoling/therapy but that doesn't seem to give him his passion back or his ability to work well.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results but sometimes one is forced into doing the same thing and doesn't expect different results just wants the thing that bothers him to go away

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Even harder: finding datasheets before the internet!
It was a different era: databooks were a form of currency that IC makers used for various purposes. We gave them to favored customers and sometimes used them to bribe our way into seeing customers who didn't want to waste their time getting an earful from annoying salesmen. data books were valuable. I actually created a fictitious company (using my home address) to get data books from competitors.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
... however he knows he needs to work but can't find work.
Most people have two or three lower paying jobs to make ends meet. Why can't your friend get a job? Are there job's beneath them?

Every fast food place in your town is not hiring? There comes a time when one must do what one must do to survive. I've seen a lot of day laborers standing on the streets looking for whatever work comes their way.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"I actually created a fictitious company (using my home address) to get data books from competitors."

Years ago, I did the same approach to get technical info for free; before starting my Woodshop, and Metalworking shops.

Some may think that is deceitful.....but those kind of people will bitch, even if they are hung, with a brand new rope.;)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
He has tried consoling/therapy but that doesn't seem to give him his passion back or his ability to work well.
Unfortunately, many American cities have a large numbers of homeless people. Many of these people have varying degrees of mental illness and are unable to function within what the rest of us call 'normal' standards. Instead of adapting, circumstances cause them to abandon traditional lifestyles and they fall into poverty and homeless situations.

Inability to find a passion or even get up in the morning to look for work (any work) with the knowledge that eviction and hunger will be the result of not having money is a type of metal illness. It is usually associated with Depression.

Please ask your friend to seek professional help. Offering help is not an attack on their lifestyle or their intelligence. It is actually no different than offering a Heimlich maneuver to a choking person or CPR to a heart attack victim.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
so then if there is no means to get work for money... how is my friend going to pay for his needs ?

There should at least be away to pay for your needs always or then what the heck? The rule should be you should beable to break the laws to get your needs with nothing held against you...

Either way my friend has some problems but he hasn't really broken any major laws or harmed anybody so in this case what should he do to survive?
He could not live in a jail/or hospital he would probably end up committing suicide and that would be societies fault for forcing him there. I feel bad for him but the selfish world doesn't.

And let me correct you on this

Is much larger then any one companies arena of expertise. Though he just lost the passion for it... however he knows he needs to work but can't find work.

And his situation was most likely caused by other people that is his loss in passion. Though he still tries to improve himself to the best of his ability

Really..It's our fault your "friend" isn't working. The only time I think society is at fault is when they DO NOT incarcerate someone that does break the law, simply because they think they're too good to flip burgers.
We do not owe your friend a thing, if he can't get it by himself, he doesn't deserve it.

Oh yeah...who gets to pick which laws your friend gets to break and not be held against him?

How did "other people" cause his loss of passion?

Last edited: