JOB OPENING: Senior Electronics Design Engineer

openbionics

Joined Sep 30, 2016
Hi Folks,

I hope it's OK to post this here.

We have a very exciting job going at our start-up, Open Bionics. Open Bionics is an award winning company that is globally known for its cutting edge advancements in myoelectric prosthetic hands. Open Bionics has worked with Disney and Eidos Montreal to design superhero bionic hands for kids, which the successful candidate will be helping to design.

This is a really great opportunity for someone that wants the freedom to work on end-to-end electronics development for products that have a social benefit. It's a small team and the work is very practical.

Key points:
Company: Open Bionics
Job Title: Senior Electronics Design Engineer
Salary: £28k-£35k
Equity: Negotiable, depending on candidate experience.
Start Date: Immediate
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Candidate must be eligible to work in the UK
Candidate must have 2:1 Electronics degree or equivalent
Candidate must have at least 2 years practical experience

Key Experience:
- Schematic Design
- PCB Layout - Double Sided Fit, Surface Mount Up to 6 Layers and down to 0402
- Digital Electronics design and layout
- Analogue Electronics design and layout (Signal processing and Conditioning)

Full job description here: http://www.openbionics.com/senior-electronics-design-engineer.

Please e-mail applications to jobs@openbionics.com and include:
- A short covering letter explaining why you’re right for the role (.PDF)
- A CV. (.PDF)
- An example schematic diagram that you’ve done. (.PDF)
- An example board layout that you’ve done. (.PDF)

Please forward this on to anyone that you think might love it. Thanks!

Attachments

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Good luck trying to get a decent engineer with that salary range. That's less than 42k USD a year, Yikes! Maybe if you want someone 10 hours a week.

Double it and you might get a new grad with zero experience. Triple it if you want a decent mixed single engineer with experience.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Good luck trying to get a decent engineer with that salary range. That's less than 42k USD a year, Yikes! Maybe if you want someone 10 hours a week.

Double it and you might get a new grad with zero experience. Triple it if you want a decent mixed single engineer with experience.
That is not a low salary, it is the will of the people of the U.K., voting to lower their salaries compared to all imported goods.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The job brings with it a chance to contribute to the betterment of humanity. For example, what would have rather told you parents you are doing, designing an electron beam steering circuit for a sputtering chamber or making life-like prosthetics? That carrot might be enough for people to justify taking the job even though a higher salary could be obtained elsewhere.

The job brings with it a chance to contribute to the betterment of humanity. For example, what would have rather told you parents you are doing, designing an electron beam steering circuit for a sputtering chamber or making life-like prosthetics? That carrot might be enough for people to justify taking the job even though a higher salary could be obtained elsewhere.
Probably the motivation is different but if everyone finds happiness and motivation in whatever he does then he does not care what to tell to the parents or to folks or to anyone, he does not need their approval to feel succefull or accepted.Everyone who does the work for this motive is by definition sterile.When i was younger and worked at marketing leaflets i was very happy and excited everyday begging my cooworkers to do more job and they laughted how passionate i was even if i was an engineer.None of my folks dared to speak a bad word because i had this wild passion to secure my passion and i did not care what parents says because this is who i am.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
For example, what would have rather told you parents you are doing,
a) something I hated but earned a salary high enough to get my own apartment and start paying student loans
b) somethings that would change a disabled person's life but I need to keep living in their basement and need them to pay half of the student loan that they co-signed

I pick (a)

Lyonspride

Joined Jan 6, 2014
"Candidate must have 2:1 Electronics degree or equivalent"

No offence here, but this feels a bit like academic snobbery, i've known such people, some have that genuine interest in the subject and fair play to them, but some only went to uni for the social life, got drunk/stoned every day, did the obligatory "gap yar" backpacking, cheated and scraped through their final year and then blagged their way into high paid jobs where they need 24/7 hand holding.

Also designing something in CAD is all very well, but DFM (design for manufacture) requires many years of experience, the sort of grass roots experience that most graduates will have skipped over. It all depends on whether you want an elite social club or a viable product.

IMVHO

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
"Candidate must have 2:1 Electronics degree or equivalent"

No offence here, but this feels a bit like academic snobbery, i've known such people, some have that genuine interest in the subject and fair play to them, but some only went to uni for the social life, got drunk/stoned every day, did the obligatory "gap yar" backpacking, cheated and scraped through their final year and then blagged their way into high paid jobs where they need 24/7 hand holding.

Also designing something in CAD is all very well, but DFM (design for manufacture) requires many years of experience, the sort of grass roots experience that most graduates will have skipped over. It all depends on whether you want an elite social club or a viable product.

IMVHO
You don't need to worry, this guy will get what he is paying for - not much.

Lyonspride

Joined Jan 6, 2014
You don't need to worry, this guy will get what he is paying for - not much.
It's UK and we pay and treat engineers really badly in this country, we become general dogs bodies, pretty+dumb young women get more pay for working in an office making tea for visitors than engineers get paid AND they seem to think they gain the right to have us running around moving tables and photocopiers for them. Like "sure i'll just turn off this electron microscope that's taken over an hour to set up and warm up, get out of my clean lab gear and come move your PC monitor to the other side of the desk for you....."

For all the crap you get, you've really got to love what you do to be an engineer in the UK.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It's UK and we pay and treat engineers really badly in this country, we become general dogs bodies, pretty+dumb young women get more pay for working in an office making tea for visitors than engineers get paid AND they seem to think they gain the right to have us running around moving tables and photocopiers for them. Like "sure i'll just turn off this electron microscope that's taken over an hour to set up and warm up, get out of my clean lab gear and come move your PC monitor to the other side of the desk for you....."

For all the crap you get, you've really got to love what you do to be an engineer in the UK.
I guess my great grand parents were pretty smart.