Jig mount for camera

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mrel, Nov 4, 2010.

1. mrel

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Try to build jig to mount a camera that can pan and tilt.
    I try a stepper motor the motor don't want to turn when weight is heavy .
    My next try is to use a servo motor ,but I don't know to much about servo motor.
    I have few question about servo motor.
    (1) Can a servo motor goes left to right and right and left ?
    (2) Where can I find simple circuit to control the servo motor?
    (3) Can PWM control a servo motor?
    Thank for the infor
  2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    A DC motor will switch direction just by switching the polarity of its leads. That's how they move the exterior mirrors on a car, which seems a little like what you need. Adding PWM control would give you speed control, but is maybe not necessary unless you really need that. You might be able to get a modest range of speed control just by varying voltage, eg. from 9 to 12v. But a 12v motor won't work well at, say 2v.
  3. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Sounds to me its a gear problem. Have you seen the book:

"Robot Builder's Cookbook - Build and Design Your Own Robots"

In that book it is well explained the use of gears and torque.

"...A reduction gear train reduces the speed of rotation and it increases the torque..."
  4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    First problem is probably mechanical. Be sure your camera is balanced/counter-balanced properly. Look at a typical telescope mount for clues.

For motion and control, I think a servo is your best bet. Easy to do and will go the the same position each time depending on where you set the control. The control can be a simple 555-based "servo tester." Then later, if you want to do it remotely, you are all set to add a transmitter and receiver.