jerks spamming this board

S_lannan

Joined Jun 20, 2007
Lately it has become apparent many people are spamming this board.
I do not know if it is possible, but certain boards moderate the first posts of new users. Perhaps if it is done here these posts will never make it to the forums.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You can always report it as spam ( as I often do) with the triangle at the right top of the post next to the number.

Greetings,
Bertus

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
There has indeed been an uptick in Spam of late. Much of it comes from some looser pushing a website selling cheap shoes. They title their threads in a sexual manner to draw attention.

We ban them, of course. And their IP address gets blocked. Perhaps they get a new IP address, or perhaps there are several such persons pushing the same cheap junk via the same tawdry methods.

We do get several legitimate new users each day. It would be inconvenient for the new members to have to wait for approval. It would also mean extra work for the moderating team. The new members are already filtered via a CATCHPA scheme to weed out most bots. This feature drastically reduced spamming back when it was first implemented, and I am confident it keeps spamming here to a minimum.

The spammers only show up two or three times a week. Thanks to the vigilance of our membership, and the use of the
feature for reporting offensive posts, we can remove the spam in short order. The
reporting feature alerts all moderators, so we may take action sooner rather than later. As noted, we block the IP addresses of spammers.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
It seem to me that members don't click on suspect titles,
that they run there mouse over it getting a clue of type.Do not give
the post credence.Leave it with a goose egg next to it. I notice
that is what happen to most,until the sheriff comes on line.
So keep the mouse busy getting glimpes.Maybe the sheriff can
explain my post better in computer terms.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
It seem to me that members don't click on suspect titles,
that they run there mouse over it getting a clue of type.Do not give
the post credence.Leave it with a goose egg next to it. I notice
that is what happen to most,until the sheriff comes on line.
So keep the mouse busy getting glimpes.Maybe the sheriff can
explain my post better in computer terms.
I'm just a deputy, but If one hovers the mouse over a link, the hostname for the link will appear in the status bar at the bottom of the browser window.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Why is there a 60 seconds delay in the report button.
Sometimes a spammer places more ads in one time, to report them you have to wait 60 seconds per report.

Greetings,
Bertus

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi bertus,

You don't have to report more than one instance of any spammer. We have a control function that deletes all of that person's spam at the same time.

Just let us know once and that will be enough.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
If it is any consolation, the spammer must also wait at least 60 seconds between posts. Our spam deletion software takes them all out at once, as Beenthere has noted.