JBL Charge Speaker Control Circuit

dang.artman

Joined Dec 5, 2014
Hello!

This is my first post to this forum, so hopefully I'm not asking too much here. I purchased an open box JBL Charge Bluetooth speaker. It's a great speaker, but the control panel on the top unit was having some issues. The power LEDs weren't working properly, so I took it out and attempted to repair it, but I was in a hurry and wasn't using the best tools at the time. I tried to fix the solder joint on one of the very small SMD capacitors, but it got stuck to the tip of the soldering iron and got burnt up and then lost. I've since then tried to put another cap in it's place, but I didn't get the parts to sit properly and now the circuit seems to be completely dead, then I had a pin bend on the ribbon cable. It should be an easy repair but I don't know the values or how I could bypass the damaged circuit. I need to either figure out how to repair the board or at least find a way to hack/bodge in a new circuit. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!? :) I've done multiple searches on Google and here and I've found NO info on this circuit. I've started to scrape the paint off of the board in order to find the traces, but I'm not confident that it will help me with my limited knowledge.

Attachments

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
You won't find a schematic because these things were not designed to be repairable. And, I'm sorry to say, based on your attempts to repair it so far; I don't think there is much you can do with it to improve the situation.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You seem to have proved the old adage "haste makes waste". :rolleyes:
To work with surface mount devices you need a low power soldering iron with a small tip.

dang.artman

Joined Dec 5, 2014
You seem to have proved the old adage "haste makes waste". :rolleyes:
To work with surface mount devices you need a low power soldering iron with a small tip.
I have the correct equipment now, but, yes, I should have waited. Mistakes have been made, but I have a considerable amount of soldering experience. I'm aware a schematic isnt available, but I was hoping for some tips to reverse engineer it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Instant headache. You have bungled a soldering job, flicked a capacitor into the netherworld, damaged the circuit board, and damaged a cable. Even if you could find the capacitor, you can't read its value because those capacitors don't have printing on them. The manufacturer won't tell you the value because they would rather sell you a new one, and you probably don't own a capacitance meter. If we told you to get a crystal ball to tell you the capacitor size, you would still have to start over because you didn't find the real problem in the first place. It's a long shot that anybody here could diagnose that from a photograph, and with your skills, it's a lost cause, anyway.

Sorry if this comes across as rude, but when reality intrudes, it's usually unpleasant. I think I can get away with laying it on the line (on this website) because of my long history of being helpful.