Java.null.Exception

hitmen

Joined Sep 21, 2008
I had a lab assignment in which I have difficulty. My program is supposed to read a text known as "names.txt". Thereafter, if the name is less than 5, the names will be written to "small.txt" else it is written to "big.txt". However, my program only reads alternate names from "names.txt". Thereafter, it produces a java.null exception. What is wrong??

I have already changed my program so that the pwstream is b4 the while loop. However, how my program reads only alternative names from my name.txt. Thereafter, it reads the null string and then produce an error message. Here it is:

Here is my original text file ("names.txt"):

Alex
Beckham
Giggs
Blanc
Neville
Scholls
Keane
McDonald
KennyRoger
BurgerKing
AandW
PHut

and here is my program:

import java.util.Scanner;
import java.io.*;

public class lab8 {

public static void main(String[] args) {
try{
Scanner sc = new Scanner (System.in);

//Step 1: create and open file stream
FileReader openfile = new FileReader ("names.txt");
BufferedReader brstream = new BufferedReader (openfile);

//Step 2 : must write into new file
FileWriter fw1= new FileWriter ("small.txt");
BufferedWriter bw1 = new BufferedWriter (fw1);
PrintWriter pw1 = new PrintWriter (bw1);

FileWriter fw2= new FileWriter ("big.txt");
BufferedWriter bw2 = new BufferedWriter (fw2);
PrintWriter pw2 = new PrintWriter (bw2);

//Step 3: check length of name
String name;
while ( (brstream.readLine() != null) ){
name = brstream.readLine();
System.out.println("Name is " + name);
if (name.length() < 5){pw1.println(name);}
else { pw2.println(name) ; }
}//close while

//step 4: close all the stream
brstream.close();
pw1.close();
pw2.close();}//close try

catch(FileNotFoundException e)
{System.out.println("File not found!"+e.getMessage() );
System.exit(0); }

catch(IOException e)
{System.out.println("IO Error! "+ e.getMessage());
e.printStackTrace();
System.exit(0);}

}
}

Here is the output:

Name is Beckham
Name is Blanc
Name is Scholls
Name is McDonald
Name is BurgerKing
Name is PHut
Name is null
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at lab8.main(lab8.java:36)

What is wrong?:(
Thanks! :)

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
The reason your code is skipping names in the input file is that your are calling readLine twice per loop iteration: once in the test and once in the loop body. This is one time too many.
Your code is throwing the null exception for the same reason. Assuming that the readLine call in the while loop condition has read the last name in the file and doesn't return null, the next call to readLine will return null in name. The expression name.length() is probably the one that is throwing the exception.

Mark
Rich (BB code):
String name;
while ( (brstream.readLine() != null) ){
name = brstream.readLine();
if (name.length() < 5){pw1.println(name);}
else { pw2.println(name) ; }
}//close while

hitmen

Joined Sep 21, 2008
Thanks Mark! I tried your suggestion and I altered my code. However, it only reads in the first name Alex (in the first line) then it loops infinitely. Here is my code again. Also, can you suggest what I should do to the program?

String name = brstream.readLine();

while ( (name != null) ){

if (name.length() < 5){
pw1.println(name);}

else {
pw2.println(name);}
}//close while

I have also tried using a do while loop but the program will crash because it will read the program one last time when name is null.:(

Last edited:

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Thanks Mark! I tried your suggestion and I altered my code. However, it only reads in the first name Alex (in the first line) then it loops infinitely. Here is my code again. Also, can you suggest what I should do to the program?

Rich (BB code):

while ( (name != null) ){

if (name.length() < 5){
pw1.println(name);}

else { 
pw2.println(name);}
}//close while

I have also tried using a do while loop but the program will crash because it will read the program one last time when name is null.:(
I put your code in a [$code] ... [$/code] block to make it more readable. (Don't use the $ character - those are to keep the browser from parsing these.)

Your problem now is that your call to readLine occurs only once, just before the loop starts, and doesn't occur inside the loop body. Think about what happens each time the loop runs. To be able to write code in whatever language, you need to be able to look at a section of code and predict correctly what it will do.

Here's how you can "play computer." Make a table headed by name and name.length. Before the loop starts, what values do these have? Each time through the loop, how do these change? What will cause the loop to terminate?

hitmen

Joined Sep 21, 2008
I understand why. But the problem I am facing is that if I leave "name" to be undeclared before the loop then it wouldnt compile. :(

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
I understand why. But the problem I am facing is that if I leave "name" to be undeclared before the loop then it wouldnt compile. :(
I'm not suggesting that you can use name without declaring it first, but the line you're referring to does more than declare name; it also initializes name with the value returned by readLine.
Rich (BB code):
What I said before was that your code calls readLine once before the loop is entered, and then never calls it inside the loop. It should be fairly obvious that to process a list of names, your code will have to call readLine each iteration of the loop. You also need to take care not to read past the end of the list of names.