Jade Helm 15

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Anyone think the militia's will get involved when Jade Helm 15 starts? Remember what happened when the Cliven Bundy incident happened, and that was over just some cows, not some states.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
They may border on crazy, but they're not that crazy. I predict (and hope) nothing will come of it.
Some one should explain it to the Texan's then. Both the governor(who already has called up the Texas State Guard to keep an eye on them) and Ted Cruz, are taking it serious. Can you say "don't mess with Texas"?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I've never heard of Jade Helm 15 until now, so I went out and read a bit about it. Seems like much ado 'bout nothin'. Apparently the conspiracy theorists latched onto the fact that Texas, Utah, and part of southern California have been flagged as "hostile" areas for the exercise. So what? Nearly every military exercise classifies certain areas as "hostile" or "enemy" regions for the purpose of the exercise.

I don't see anything happening other than a large scale military training exercise that most people won't even know about even as parts of it take place right next door to them. The military conducts training exercises even in heavily populated urban areas all the time -- the nature and scope of the exercises are tailored so as to achieve specific training objectives without drawing attention to themselves (that's often one of the specific training objectives -- how to conduct operations without drawing attention to yourself). Other times, when the nature of the activities can't help but draw attention, the exercises are widely publicized well in advance. We just had something happen around here a couple weeks ago that fell into that category.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
All of that is true, but no right wing nut job could possibly pass up a golden opportunity to stir the pot. It is tailor made for their purposes.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Fearing one's government is healthy, laudable, appropriate and in keeping with our founding. But the leap to fearing a training exercise could turn into an armed invasion is absurd.

The insidious march towards ever-larger government doesn't require military action and indeed would be damaged by it. Better to quietly buy votes with goodies from the treasury.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Look, you guys can hide behind all your namby-pamby "logic" and "reason," but I, for one, will follow Chuck Norris into ANY battle, against ANY foe, be it imaginary or real. The honor of fighting alongside Chuck Norris, even against no one, is worth more than my reputation as a sane person.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Just so we're clear here even right wing nut jobs have real enemies. They just don't appreciate who they are until it is too late, and they waste most of their time chasing phantoms, because it fits in with their world view.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I hope the US military has some access to live ammo though. Imagine the militias starting something with live rounds and the guys in the exercise only having blanks/sim weapons. Could get ugly quick.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Just so we're clear here even right wing nut jobs have real enemies. They just don't appreciate who they are until it is too late, and they waste most of their time chasing phantoms, because it fits in with their world view.
In other words, you're saying that they are no different than left wing nut jobs. No argument from me.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
All of that is true, but no right wing nut job could possibly pass up a golden opportunity to stir the pot. It is tailor made for their purposes.
Sadly, semi-reasonable Texas governor Greg Abbott has endorsed the need to 'keep an eye on those Feds..' Even former governor 'maybe we should secede' Rick Perry, not otherwise notable for mental clarity, has characterized the fears as 'absurd'.

Do look for me on Shark Tank this weekend with my new line of aluminum cowboy hats in lots of styles and finishes!

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I am so thankful for Texas. My kids have such trouble believing historical stories about ignorance like McCarthyism and The Salem Witch Trials.
McCarthy was from Wisconsin and Salem is in Massachusetts. Virtually all Texans I know are great, rational and thinking people, well-educated (including my kids..) I think a better point is that somehow we've allowed idiocy to equate with rational thinking, country wide. In that regard, some of the Texans in the news are front runners. I used to think it was all media hype and the media makes sure we stay in perpetual outrage at something or other so that we don't take the time to think, understand and solve the problems that vex us as a country, but the scary part is that many in power and not just from TX, say and believe really stupid things. My cynical nature says its by design, since solving our real problems probably will cost someone some money and / or power.