I’ve modified a Gerber file in GerbTool. How to save (or export) it?

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Folks,

What am I not doing right here?

• Got WISE GerbTool, which came with OrCAD 10.5.
  • Generated Gerbers with Eagle 6.2.0 and imported them into GerbTool.
  • Modified one of the Gerbers. So far so good.
  • If I do File -> Save, only the .GTD file is saved. The modified Gerber file does not get saved.
  • If I do File -> Export -> Gerber…, GerbTool does export a Gerber, but it doesn’t look right. Most of the traces and pads originally generated by Eagle are not there any more.

So, how can I save a modified Gerber?
Alternatively, is there a freeware Gerber editor, which I could use instead of GerbTool? (I’ve done some searching and found this list. But I’d like to get your suggestions too.)

Any suggestion, insight or reference is really appreciated!

Cheers,
- Nick

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
GC PrevuePlus edits Gerbers and has a free trial version which I haven't used but give it a go. I use their freebie viewer to get a warm fuzzy before submitting a PCB for fab but do my board edits in Eagle. The idea of post-editing the gerbers gives me shivers...

Curious and, if you are using Eagle, can you not just edit the PCB there and replot?

Anyway,
Good luck!

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanks for the tip on GC PrevuePlus. I'll check it out.

Curious and, if you are using Eagle, can you not just edit the PCB there and replot?
Normally, I wouldn't edit a layout in a Gerber editor. Right now, I have an odd case, though. I need to make 2 variants of a very simple board (only 2 components and 12 nets). In the 1st variant, certain pads have normal openings in the soldermask. In the 2nd variant, these pads are completely covered with solder mask: no windows. I figured that an easy way would be to plot one set of Gerbers, make a copy of the soldermask Gerber, delete the unneeded openings.