I've been furloughed a couple of days.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Couple of ugly rumors floating around at my job, but I think I'll disregard them (as if I have a choice). It was pretty much the whole section.

Reminds me of an old saying, when someone else looses their job it is a recession. When you loose your job it is a depression.

Looks like I'll be hanging around here a bit more for a while.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Sorry to hear that. This might be an opportunity though. You might get a chance to visit family or tour some place you've been wanting to go. Maybe you can get to long defered home repairs or finish a neglected project. Personally, when I get sent home, I get caught up on sailing, fishing or camping. Hope you find a way to take you mind off that place with the four letter word (work) and just refresh!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
words do not convey how boring I am. When I was an Air Force brat I got my fill of traveling. I did find Great Britain interesting, but since I was 6 years old (left at 9) my impressions are a bit jumbled.

My Dad retired in the deep country, a typical Green Acres scenario, since he was raised in Boston. But Vietnam was rough on him, he needed the extended down time. But I learned to detest the ticks, it left a mark on me too. Nowdays you can inoculate cattle where if a tick bites it, the tick dies.

So I tinker at home. I went through a deep clinical depression last year, I'm still cleaning the house from it. I am afraid I am a lousy housekeeper. The depression is under control, but the mess remains.

I am old enough I am the senior of the family. Such is life.

Maybe I can finish some articles I started, along with several simple projects. I might even put feelers out on the job market to see if anyone nibbles.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The good news is that even if your job goes away, the economy is picking up. I got my job yanked back in 2008 when the economy collapsed and there was absolutely nothing then. Problem is, employers developed this arrogant attitude about not considering any "long term" unemployed for hiring. So I guess we are persona non gratis in the working world.

I hope you get a better job.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
words do not convey how boring I am.
I tell my nieces and nephews, "I am a lot more boring in person".:D

They enjoy emails from me, with some wit and humor, then think I am like that most of the time. Not true. Borrowing an old phrase that my mother used, most of the time you would have to sight over a stick to see whether I was moving.:D

Good luck on staying busy. The summer heat really discourages projects like painting the back door or properly cleaning the truck (both on my list). You might have to act social, be with other people, borrow some of their ambition. That's what works for me.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Hope it all works out the way you want Bill. :)

Just remember, many times "change is for the better" even if the change is unwelcome or starts off unpleasant.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You're in the perfect position to land a new job. You already have one (a prerequisite to getting one) and you have time to submit resumes and go to interviews.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I had to lay off two people in May - we gave them 90 days notice. They both left yesterday. One had a job waiting at a competitor. The competitor called about non-compete clauses so I knew he wasn't just blowing hot air. Rumor had it he was getting a 15% pay bump.

The other employee had a second interview at new company and a third interview at another - she'll be fine.

We are not doing badly, but the HR strategy has changed. Apparently, the market allows us to hire experts in their fields to move projects quickly. In the past, we would just re-train generalists. I am not saying I agree and I am not sure which is faster or better. We learned to greatly improve project documentation because all history on the project goes with the expert otherwise.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
We learned to greatly improve project documentation because all history on the project goes with the expert otherwise.
That's a good thing even without expected turnover.

I went through a deep clinical depression last year, I'm still cleaning the house from it. I am afraid I am a lousy housekeeper. The depression is under control, but the mess remains.
And to Bill, good luck. I don't know what your exercise habits are, but I find that walking is the best medicine I take...for mental attitude and physical well being. If your depression persists or worsens, don't try to handle it alone.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have been walking 5 miles 3-4 times a week, and try to get in 3 miles/day for maintenance. When I was most serious about my weight loss I was doing 7-10 miles several times a week. It worked.

The depression is gone, I have addressed/am addressing the root cause. What that is I won't say, but it was pretty different from the norm.

Basically I'm back into building projects. I pretty much shut down for over a year. Thank God for family.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have been walking 5 miles 3-4 times a week, and try to get in 3 miles/day for maintenance. When I was most serious about my weight loss I was doing 7-10 miles several times a week. It worked.

The depression is gone, I have addressed/am addressing the root cause. What that is I won't say, but it was pretty different from the norm.

Basically I'm back into building projects. I pretty much shut down for over a year. Thank God for family.
That's great news. The job thing will work out.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

In general, I find it energizing to be with interesting people. I love the website, meetup.com. It is not a dating website, it is a website of people organizing group activities based on a specific interest (cooking, computers, electronics projects, hiking, kayak, ...). You show up at the posted time and join in.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...I find that walking is the best medicine I take...for mental attitude and physical well being.
I'm a runner. My mood and level of energy are much improved during and 24 to 48 hours after a good 4 mile run.

The trick if finding something to run from. Wife and kids at home helps... :D

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, perhaps you could do a bit of travelling? Like perhaps, come up to MO for a visit? We have a couple of spare bedrooms, wireless Internet, kitties to pet, lots and lots of projects to do... and some very long roads to walk on!

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Bill,
You and the Sarge could get together like he says and start building some pretty awesome stuff pretty quick. You two would collaborate very well together I think and come up with some cool stuff while your on furlough. Just a thought....
Wheelchair Bob