Itty Bitty FM Transmitter Kit

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Robin Mitchell, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Robin Mitchell

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    absf likes this.
  2. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    What part of the FM Band is this tunable to... what is its approximate range... I was thinking along the lines of wireless speakers for the teevee...
    I know some things like baby monitors, can be picked up as a PITA on standard FM... Would rather avoid this if possible...

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    80 MHz to 110MHz, and as unstable as a one transistor transmitter.
    (It's in the PDF.)

4. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    But it works very well considering its a one transistor transmitter. I have used it as a "bug" in the workshop where I could hear everything going on inside from the house (about 20M away)

5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Mitch, you should advise your customers that use of unlicensed transmitters in the 80-110MHz band is illegal (in the UK at least).
    I don't think your included "Note: This kit is for education only. Please check all local laws and regulations when oper-
    ating radio equipment" goes far enough. What educational use is permitted?

Robin Mitchell likes this.
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    In the USA anything under 10mw is legal. You guys across the pond don't have Ipod rebroadcaster for your FM radio in your car?

7. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    I think the statement "Check all local laws and regulations before operating the transmitter" is clear enough. Mind you the transmitter is very weak and the input voltage is not recommended to go beyond 5V. FM transmissions from this device if used in a school environment would be fine (low power consumption etc and tuning to an unused station). Issues would arise when individuals use amplifiers on the transmission stage and use stations that are already in use. I just provide a module and have state multiple times in the document about the legal requirements.

And to Wendy, we do have Ipod FM broadcasters :)

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Then you probably have something equivalent to the 10mw clause.

9. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    The transmitter is really weak when operating at 5V and below so I cant see the harm in this device (considering that there are fm transmitters here in the uk for cars etc)

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The FCC (which is very different than your equalent organization) allows for teaching/expermentation. I suspect the same phylosophy is in place there,

11. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    Hence why I state "Educational Purposes Only" ;)