ITT Tech shutdown

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsaspook, Sep 8, 2016.

1. nsaspook

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That reads like its about accreditation vs Federal student loans.

I knew about ITT Tech when it was called "Sams Technical Institute" from the Howard Sams business of selling schematics, a division of Bobs Merrill Publishing. The place wasn't accredited in 1968. Apparently they still aren't. The problem seems to be about getting involved with Federal Student Loans.

I've never heard of a trade school being accredited in a way similar to a State University. They don't teach the same things. As for promising employment, if that's the argument, the State Universities should be shut down, too.

In the comments. people are complaining about graduating with $15,000 to $20,000 in debt. They should check the debt load they would have from an accredited University, and still be unemployed!

3. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    The whole anti for profit schools isn't really about benefiting the students - if they really cared about that, they would have tightened up student loan aid and gone after the public schools.

The whole fight is about protecting a group of core constituents who consistently vote for one party. High Ed is corrupt, inefficient, and a form of reverse wealth transfer, from the poorest of the poor (students) to the rich (administrators and processors). It is a form of modern day slavery.

For profit schools present a challenge to that scheme and should be shut down.

#12 likes this.
  4. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    The place was a degree mill just slightly above bogus diplomas from the internet. If it were merely an expensive ripoff then $20,000 or more down a rat-hole wouldn't be so bad because you would have something of worth even if you over-paid. The ITT scam degree (something most people ignored anyway) is effectively completely worthless now.

At the end of the story they mention Coleman University. I have a 'certificate in Computer Electronics Technology' from that GI bill paper mill I earned while using some of my VEGIB to pay for my house while serving in the Navy almost 40 years ago. :D At least then they could award accredited degrees and had 'real' transferable credits.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I guess it got worse in the last 48 years.:(
    I went to STI for a few months in 1968/1969 and made the connection between being self-taught and getting some background relevant to the real world. That, in turn, got me my first 40 hour job in electronics. As with the public schools, the precursor of ITT Tech was mostly a snooze for me, but I did pick up relevant information between naps, such as the block diagram of a TV, the "All American" 5 tube radio, and some basic diode clamping circuits. That was all I needed. Other people? Their mileage varied. I suppose some came out the other end, still idiots, but some came out and made their way in the world.

Has ITT Tech gotten so bad that two years of exposure to their education is worthless? I don't know.

7. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    I think it has gotten that bad and it's sad that ITT on a resume is a negative but that's the reality. 40 years ago the original founders of many 'Tech schools' were still around and at least seemed to care about education vs cash cow. Far too many good people who are sharp and ready for education today are being hoodwinked into a 'Pig in a poke' lose-lose position.

This crackdown is long overdue but as usual, we the tax payers are footing the bill here with federal student loans discharged and their debt erased.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  8. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013

I somewhat disagree. As someone who went back to college a second time while in his late 20's and with actual real life working experience I can say that everything I saw showed it to be a transfer of wealth from the poor majority of students to the grossly over rated and funded sports programs. :mad:

One perfect example of this was the nonnegotiable Student Activities fee that everyone had to pay. It got you a discount on admission to any sports activities as a spectator (still had to pay though) yet for any form of non sporting student activities clubs (like Engineering, Science, Chemistry, Physics or art/humanities related competition/activities) got zero funding from that fee everyone was required to pay into. :mad::mad:

As for the staff pay again, I saw a huge pay scale difference between the sports coaches, who most didn't teach a single class, yet pulled down $100+K Vs the professors in the core classes who were mostly marginally to poorly trained foreigners that made just over minimum wage, who many ran classes back to back from 6 AM to 6 PM 5 days a week. :mad::mad::mad:

Relating to my experiences with the Student Loan system I came to see that they are apparently ran by the math and economics dropouts because they clearly could not keep my loan info streight ever and have such a huge standing track record of it now most any normal Bank loan officer will tell you they no longer even look at what the student loan bank system has to say about anyone. :eek::oops: