its versus it's (Ignore this post if you don't care about grammar.)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
This is the most common grammatical error I see in postings, yet correct usage is very simple. If you mean "it is", then "it's" is what you use; otherwise, there's no apostrophe in its.

For the most perspicacious among you, I am aware that there is one exception to this rule, but it is so rare that it's not worth mentioning.

For those of you who couldn't care less, just ignore this post.

Thanks.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Pfff, I got you beat. My peers use Latin characters when typing in SMSs, Skype and other instant message services. Of course, there's no consideration about spelling while typing in Greeklish.

I 've even seen professors of mine send mail replies in Greeklish.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I get a little peeved when I see lists starting without colons.

I also get peeved when I see clichés.

I hate it when people put an adverb after the verb, when the verb has an object.

I find inconsistent writing styles very annoying.

So many grammatical errors - even amongst the ranks of the Grammar Nazis!

:D:p

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I get a little peeved when I see lists starting without colons.

I also get peeved when I see clichés.

I hate it when people put an adverb after the verb, when the verb has an object.

I find inconsistent writing styles very annoying.

So many grammatical errors - even amongst the ranks of the Grammar Nazis!

:D:p
A list does not need a colon, but good try. ;)

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
"The phrase is often loosely translated into English as "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts", which has then been parodied as "Beware of geeks bearing gifts", or "Beware geeks bearing GIFs"."

It's pronounced JIFs!!!!

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
More people should realize that a spell checker does not check context, only spelling which may produce a work that is correctly spelled but totally wrong in meaning.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
We should bear in mind that many of these mistakes (and I suspect that all of us have made them -- I know I have) do not represent ignorance of the proper usage, particularly when seen in a post on a forum or in a very informal e-mail, but rather just a typo that didn't get caught.

When I get really annoyed is when I see them on signs, in advertisements, or other situations in which people are (supposedly) paying some "professional" to do a job correctly.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola Geo,

When we do not understand something we use to say, "that is Chinese to me". Eventually, old people here could say "Greek" instead.

What do you say in Greece?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
"Beware geeks bearing GIFs"."

It's pronounced JIFs!!!!
Who said? Its(!) a G which comes from an acronym for "Graphics Interchange Format", a hard G, so it's(!) pronunciation is GIF not JIF.

If it was from "Giraffe Interchange Format" then the file extension pronunciation might be different... ;)