It's now illegal to be a punk rocker.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsaspook, Jul 14, 2015.

1. nsaspook

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    http://www.vanyaland.com/2015/07/12...etalhead-wearing-bullet-belt-assorted-spikes/
    Panic! What Panic?

I'm glad no cops were at Comic-Con.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    No, cops thought it may be illegal. Prosecutors did not.

UPDATE July 13, 8:05 p.m.: Charges have been dropped. “Based on the totality of circumstances, however, including confirmation that the cartridges on said belt could not and weren’t intended to be fired, prosecutors dismissed the charges at arraignment in Brighton Municipal Court,” the Suffolk County District Attorney said.

JoeJester and nsaspook like this.
  3. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I take it they don't have Walmart's there that have a sporting goods section. Around here its not uncommon to see someone walking into or out of Walmart with a shotgun or rifle in hand and no one even looks twice at the person over it.

Heck we Have a Sheels All Sports store in our mall and thus even then it's not unusual to see someone walking into or out of the mall or through the mall with a gun over their shoulder like its complacently normal.. ;)

#12 likes this.
  4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Must have been the first time they saw a punk. I have a few stories like that from back in the day, but none ever got to the level of police involvement.
    There was recently an incident in a Walmart where a young black man was buying a rifle, perhaps even a BB gun. As he carried it around the store some concerned citizen called 911 to report a man with a gun.

The poor guy did not survive his encounter with police.

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Sadly in the world today you can never be too cautious..

Big difference between geeks at Comicon and a guy with a strip of bullets getting on a bus..
    Real or not I'm not getting close enough to find out..

Police were in the right.. And right for letting him go after understanding the situation

6. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    I don't have a problem with the cops talking to the guy but he was arrested on completely bogus charges for something he's been wearing for at least 10 years as a rocker, glad to see the DA did the right thing and hope the cops got a little fashion advice from the DA office.

7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Not paying the proper amount of respect to your badge wearing overlords also known as "contempt of cop" can earn anyone a ride to jail or worse. No matter what costume you are wearing. Even a suit and tie is not sufficient to protect one if bad attitude is detected.
    :)

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    One part I'm still trying to get used to: The police, "recovered" the fake bullets, even though they had not lost them in the first place.

My mama told me that taking things that aren't yours is called something different from, "recovering" them and I just can't seem to make the leap of logic on this one.

ErnieM likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Let me try to reassure you. The fake bullets would have fit a $25,000 gun if they were real, and this dangerous suspect was riding a bus.

nsaspook likes this.
  10. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Sorry.. Didn't look at the pictures.. Heard about this story the other day and didn't see the pics.. Yes clearly not bullets for a handgun or anything else he could easily concealed.

But now seeing the pictures in the linked story.. He should have been arrested.....By the fashion police.. :D Punk has been dead for YEARS now..

But I still believe that sadly we can never be too cautious and that wearing an ammo belt of bullets.. real or fake and taking public transportation is sort of asking for trouble.. right or wrong

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    It's easier than that. I have "asked for trouble" by riding a shiny, new, perfectly legal Honda motorcycle to work, stopping to check my turn signals on a deserted street, and being in a jewelry store while carrying enough money to pay for about 8 of the high school graduation rings I was asking about.

I think we covered this a few months ago when one of the links on this site went to a 2nd Circuit Court decision stating that it is not only common practice, but legally protected, to refuse to hire LEOs with a higher than average IQ.

shortbus likes this.
  12. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Some years ago I did a business deal out of state to sell and deliver around 100 4 volt 450 Ah deep cycle UPS batteries to a off grid guy. He paid me with a check once I had gotten all of them there and I headed to visit on the way back only to find out at that point my bank card would not work out of state being I had used up all my cash.

Given that I had no choice but to cash the check and fortunately my mom banked at the same bank chain as this guy so they let me cash the check under her account. Lets just say I ran a small town bank out of $100 bills and a good deal of their $50's when I was done.:cool::D

Mom was freaking out that I had that much cash on me and was going to drive all the way across Iowa, Minnesota and half of North Dakota with a litteral paper bag full of money stuffed under the seat.

I told don't worry about it. Given what I was driving a the time, 1985 Ford F15o and homemade flatbed trailer, anyone who looked at me would have thought I probably didn't have two $5 bills to rub together. :p

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    It's not the usual thieves you need to worry about.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/06/stop-and-seize/

nsaspook likes this.
  14. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Another word to learn, "adoption". The police "adopt" your cash. That sounds like they are trying to provide it with a healthy and loving home environment. How sweet!

Then there is the "loophole" at the bottom of the page:
    "The policy does not limit the ability of state and local agencies to pursue the forfeiture of assets pursuant to their respective state laws."

which means, nothing has changed in regard to your personal risk.

16. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Not really an issue in my state. We have a budget surplus in pretty much every aspect of our government and local service departments so there is little need for our law enforcement to rob the average persons just because they can or need it to make their paycheck.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I hope you enjoy a long and happy life among police that do not abuse their power just because they can.

18. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    I'm a little late in this "Thread" but; about the belt in question? Rifle bullets; cal unknown you need a rifle to fire them. His little "Murse" is so small; it couldn't hold much more than spare change and a pack of cigarettes.

kv

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Let me relate a conversation I had a few years ago.

I'm at a house, fixing the machinery, when a neighbor visits. He drives a city bus as his, "profession". (He recently retired from that job.) He tried some of his stock jokes on me and I just didn't understand him. I asked the customer where this kind of jokes come from. The answer: "He's used to talking to the kind of people that have to ride a bus. You're used to talking to the kind of people that own a home with central air conditioning."

That tells me a lot about the neighbor's jokes. It tells me a lot about why bus riders would panic at the sight of fake bullets. I wish it did not tell me so much about a Law Enforcement Officer. :(

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015