It's me again

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by R!f@@, Jun 15, 2011.

1. R!f@@

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Hey guys, since we talking about acids and stuff, I was wondering what would I need to dissolve the enamel of copper.

I get loads of work to jump flex cables. Tiny, itsy bitsy, things they are.
    Once broken, can't get 'em or takes a lot of months, so for the time being solution has to be done.
    So, I jump them using enameled copper wires, or what you guys call, coil wires. I handle pretty thin wires for this type of jobs.

It's hard work....I need a microscope to do these kinda things, so I had a handy cam torn apart and added a zoom lens to it so I could work on like that watching a TV.

My problem is tinning the fine coil wire. I have to scrape it :D, heat it :confused:, or use ur cigarette lighter :eek: to get rid of the enamel coating.

Like to know if there is a faster way, anyone ?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The most common for me is to scrape it off with an Xacto knife. You place the wire on a fingertip and scrape (not as dangerous as it seems.

Otherwise, MEK or acetone seem to dissolve the stuff fairly well.

3. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    acetone ???? Does it dissolve the coating...
    Heck !! I have lotta those ...

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Acetone is a good bit more safe than MEK.
    MEK is pretty nasty stuff. Don't breathe the fumes, get it on your skin or clothing, and for goodness sake don't spill that stuff. Use only in a well-ventilated area, preferably on the Moon.

If you have a solder pot, that works pretty well for tinning even enameled wires. You just stick the end in for a few seconds, and the hot solder burns it right off.

5. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    Hmmmm.. I was wondering if there is anything that can get the enamel off using a cotton swab..
    U know the easy way....

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Try acetone.

7. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Up until the end of last year there was a magnetics company operating across the hall from my office (both companies owned by the same holding company). They used that wire by the ton (literally).

The only thing I ever saw them use to strip it was a little machine that spun 3 blades around the wire, there was a depth stop so you always got the same length but it took some skill to extract the wire at the right place: too fast and you leave insulation, too slow and there is no wire!

No chemicals were ever used.

8. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    I asked the same question a while back. See here ...

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=29861&highlight=enamel

It turned out the type of enamel on the wire I use did not come off with chemicals or flame. I ending up just using a knife with a serrated edge that had the notches at nearly the same diameter as the wire. This knife just happens to have two size serrations, one at 18 gauge size and one at 28 gauge size.

If you can't find an existing knife that suits your needs, then the exacto-knife works, but it's hard to get a nice round wire when you are done. Large diameter wire is much easier to strip than fine wire for obvious reasons.

9. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  10. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    Funny...the wire I have is really something. I tried the solder blob technique before, it does not work just like tht.

You guys must be talking about something else. Does that way work with standard enameled copper wire used in transformers.
    I can try acetone, once I got me a new tip for the iron....Sigh!

11. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Did you try jury rigging the iron?
    3phase wiring is pretty think, it might fit with a bit of assistance.

12. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    In my experience, there seem to be two types of enameled wire: the type you can burn off and tin with a blob of solder on your soldering iron -- and the type that doesn't. Like sprinkling salt on a bird's tail to catch it, get the first kind. :p