Its A New Year-2014

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I saw some Chinese floating lanterns tonight. Very cool until one came down at the house next door and started the bushes on fire. It was one of ten that went up, but this one never got much altitude.

Rice paper, a very thin bamboo circle at the bottom, some very thin steel wire holding something that looked like a chunk of sponge that smelled like lard burning. A lot more flame than a candle, or a dozen candles. Then I stomped on it.

I was curious about those. The first time I see them, I find out why I shouldn't make them.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I saw some Chinese floating lanterns tonight. Very cool until one came down at the house next door and started the bushes on fire. It was one of ten that went up, but this one never got much altitude.

Rice paper, a very thin bamboo circle at the bottom, some very thin steel wire holding something that looked like a chunk of sponge that smelled like lard burning. A lot more flame than a candle, or a dozen candles. Then I stomped on it.

I was curious about those. The first time I see them, I find out why I shouldn't make them.
In my country those lanterns will soon be illegal to sell. The reason is just as you mentioned. They may be taken by the wind, and swooped down to the ground and into a house, and cause a fire