It Taunts Me

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Brownout, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Brownout

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    The trailer is taunting me: http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/3755081624.html

I've been watching this ad for days. This is the perfect boat trailer to replace mine, which was stolen some years ago. My boat stays tied up at Lake Guntersville. I'd love to have it so I can trailer my boat back to Florida if I get extended here, or else trailer it to my next job, wherever that might be. Problem is, I have no place to put it while I wait to see what's gonna happen. But like I said, it's prefect!

2. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Hypothetically, you have to ask yourself the cost of long term storage vs purchasing another one at or around the same price later when you need it.

3. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Yeah, I know. I know. You don't find a nice dual axle galvinized trailer that's the right size every day though.

4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    PS: Paying for storage can potentially cose more than the trailer itself.

5. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Agreed, I hate storage, short term not so bad. Long term forget it.

6. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    If you want it and can buy it and still provide for you and your family then by all means buy it. Life is too short.

Sometimes I miss my boat. But I certainly don't miss it each spring cleaning it and getting it ready to put in the water. Your lucky to be in a part of the country where things don't freeze over each year. :)

7. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Are you paying for a slip at Guntersville? Maybe you buy the trailer, put the boat on it, and store the whole rig?

8. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    How do you know that the cradle / bed (?) fits your boat exactly?

My experience in all this is just with cradles of those big yachts we load/discharge. They seem extremely hard to configurate properly (I mean those that have adpatable geometry).

9. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Thanks for the comments.

Cleaning it a pain. I can't imagine where all the dirt comes from. But there is nothing that takes the place of being on the water.

Great suggestion. My problem is I'm living temporarally in a small park in Florida, and have no place to keep the trailer until I can take it back home. If I had the space, it would be a no-brainer.

The shape of the trailer is correct. The parts that actually cradle the hull will require a little modification, but they are adjustable to an extent. I would remove some of them and reposition the other. I have pictures of my old trailer I took before it was stolen, while I was reconditioning it. I can get the cradle parts pretty close and finish adjusting them at the ramp.

10. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    For grins, here is the boat. I made the structure on the back to shade me from the hot Alabama summer sun.

11. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Find out if you can get a local rental company going back to your home State and pay them to pull it to your house? Get a friend to meet them and secure it.

12. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    It's called a bimini. Though that has to be one of the smallest I ever heard. But it is always hard to fit a bimini on a small boat, which would have problems clearing the boom.

Well at least the helmsman is in the shade. :)

13. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Look again. Aside from the little bimini, there is a hard top. I take the little bimini down when I'm not using the boat, but the hardtop stays up. There are also side shades that roll down, as well as a couple pretty powerful fans. Staying cool is my biggest challenge.

14. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    With that other boat in the background and the angle it looked at first like the top was on the other boat.

But I would say the hardtop is still a bimini. Lots of charter companies use them charterers can be really hard on cloth biminis.

15. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    So can the Alabama sun.

OH, BTW,
    Guess who the helmsman is:D

16. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Its nothing compared to the saltwater and FL sun. Your about to find out what hot is Brownout. Its still krazy cold here. It should be 99/90 right now not 83/60. Just wait till july! :) I've been in both in the summer and its no comparison. Alabama's like Canada compared to FL summers. Oh! And Brownout in summer don't leave your car parked on the pavement more then 3 days straight. If you do your tires will melt a flat spot on em. :)