Issues with my scope???

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
Here's the wave I'm getting on my scope It's a 10VAC power supply The tips and bottoms are chopped like it's compressed or something. I know that supply is smooth as I probed it on my friend's scope. What could it be?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
The mains voltage is not a perfect sinewave depending on other loads around you. Your power adapter can also add distortion to the signal.

Nothing abnormal.

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
I tried 4 different outlets and exact same wave!!! Would a power conditioner help? I have a Furman laying around that I have no use for maybe I should use it and see if there's a difference!!!! Maybe the AC is dirty in my basement as well

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Most likely the AC is the same everywhere in your home.

If you want a sinewave with a lower THD you could just filter it with passive components. This, of course, will change it's phase and affect voltage and available current.

Do you want to use it as a reference? Then why not use the function generator?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One of your problems is that you haven't figured out that the "earth" connection is the same in all your outlets. They are all intentionally wired to the same place. I fear that telling you to cut the third prong off the cord of the signal generator or scope is a safety hazard but that's one way to do this. Using a small 120v:120v trasformer is another way.

The strange part of your waveform is not an oscilloscope problem. The 'scope is correctly displaying the voltage that is being provided to you by the power company. It gets distorted because motors are connected at other peoples' houses.