Isolate ac input signal

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Didn't you say that this signal was going to feed the input of an ADC and that's why you needed 0 to +5V? Did I miss when it was changed to a Mic input on a PC?
Not to be a snot, but the audio inputs on a PC ARE an ADC of sorts.

radhey

Joined Feb 1, 2011
@wayneh
correct me if m not getting u...but my input signal(-10V to 10V) is just a voltage signal that is fed from a function generator to the hardware circuit that i posted above...and the harware circuit's output is a voltage signal of 0-5 volt and current in nano amperes....i wanted to ask that how can i give this ouptput signal to the mic port of PC..??

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
The Mic input on modern PCs are designed to work with Electret Microphones, where the PC supplies a DC voltage to the mic element via a ~10K resistor. If you plug in a bare mini plug you can measure this voltage. Electret microphones have much higher output than dynamic mics. To answer your question, use a voltage divider and a coupling cap.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Like someone said before, opto isolator is very non-linear, unless you use some auto-linearizing scheme with feedback. They are made for digital signal.
Actually, I was rather surprised by these results. It's not instrument accuracy quality but it's better than I thought I'd get.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
@wayneh
correct me if m not getting u...but my input signal(-10V to 10V) is just a voltage signal that is fed from a function generator to the hardware circuit that i posted above...and the harware circuit's output is a voltage signal of 0-5 volt and current in nano amperes....i wanted to ask that how can i give this ouptput signal to the mic port of PC..??
The mic input may have variable gain, but I suspect 5v is too much for it, so you'll see clipping unless you divide it down to 1v or so. Beware of connecting your computer's ground to anything else that may have a path to "ground". Too much current can blow your input.

radhey

Joined Feb 1, 2011
thanx CDRIVE & wayneh..

and what about the current level..is the nano amperes of current too much for mic port...m geting some 300nA....should i decrease the current level also..??

radhey

Joined Feb 1, 2011
thank u ppl..

i brought down the signal to 0-0.5V to give it to mic port...want to ask that how should i connect this output from breadboard to mic port...is there any cable that i can use..???

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
thank u ppl..

i brought down the signal to 0-0.5V to give it to mic port...want to ask that how should i connect this output from breadboard to mic port...is there any cable that i can use..???
All you need are the right connectors, and I think shielding will be very helpful.

I recommend not connecting the grounds directly (computer ground to your new device ground) until you know that is safe. Use something like a 200Ω resistor and look for millivolts across it, or heat.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
The mic jack is a 1/8" stereo mini plug. You can buy the bare plug or buy an audio patch cable and cut it in half.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The mic jack is a 1/8" stereo mini plug. You can buy the bare plug or buy an audio patch cable and cut it in half.
I often grab the free headphones you get on a long flight, just so I can have a supply of plugs to grab for such things. But they're not really as good as a shielded plug - as you'd get from the patch cable - for this particular use.