ISO soldering iron

Joined Nov 30, 2010
People here seem to love Weller brand.
Still, you need to define what you need. Temperature controlled? 25 watts? 250 watts? Propane powered? (I have all of those.)

Peter basolo

Joined Nov 24, 2014
I think propane is too much for non welding projects - 60-250 would be nice and heat adjust what would be a good model? I was thinking weller.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You can't buy a 60-250 watt soldering gun from Weller. Too wide a range. That's why I have 4 or 5 soldering thingys. You can use a dimmer or a Variac on a 250 watt iron to tame it.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Hakko FX-888D
I would also suggest the hakko for alot of reason.. I am not saying weller is a bad brand and stay clear of them .. The hakko products are modular in design and that's a really nice thing ..Cause when something breaks you can just purchase that part and be done with the repair and it's better with spare parts.. The Weller design is a contained unit and can't be repair or fixed unless you buy a the iron handle it self which is about $40 bucks for the WES51 but the tips are replaceable .. I own a old Hakko and love it but my current iron is the Weller WES51 and it suits my purpose and does everything I need but I still like the Hakko better and IMO has alot better tip selection too.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The only Hakko I wouldn't recommend is the FX-601 pencil type standalone iron..
We are constantly replacing the elements on them and the design is absolutely stupid.. You have to desolder then solder the 4 wires of the element back on.. Its a PITA..

But the FX-888 is a perfect station for anyone..

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
People here seem to love Weller brand.
I don't - when Cooper Tools took over, they decided that quality & reliability were an uneccesary extravagance.

A perfectly useable iron at an expendable price - I find the Antex as good as any.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Personally I am an Hakko man. Perhaps my good fortune that I have had few dramas with them. I had owned an solder / de-soldering gun station for over an decade without event, other than consumable parts. Expensive at AUD $1,500 back in 1996. I loved it. I have forgotten the model number, but it was an large black metal box with the iron on the left and the gun on the right. I was desperate for money and I sold it many years back. I currently have an RX-711 Goot brand (made in Japan) -- soldering iron. It is an Hakko clone and uses all Hakko parts. Very happy with it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't - when Cooper Tools took over, they decided that quality & reliability were an unnecessary extravagance.
That probably means I have the, "good" Weller stuff because I bought most of mine 30-40 years ago.
That is the kind of thing that makes me remember them kindly, even if it is inappropriate in the 21st century.