Is your cell phone really off?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
@Strantor,the big question why,this subject need the thought of a lot of people
because It Is Important to be sure and why,what would keep a phone from having
a tuned curcuit that would react to a powered transmiter from space to complete
the curcuit.The r f curcuit of a radio receives radio waves,so can signal from space
reach a tuned coil and react with out a battery in the devise.I want to know all
possibilites.Starting with a crystal radio,they have tunable crystal radios now.
The question who has the power,is there something new not on paper.Everyone
open your mind,free it of all the old stuff and move on to our unknown world.
Work with absolute's with an open mind. You hear crystal radio and you shut
down instead of exploring.I am not convinced how this space to earth radio
waves deal with there power with nothing in it's path and how much power it take
Take your I.Q. out of your back pocket and join the debate.
Well loosewire, I'm not one to stamp out creative thought. I won't rule it out, but I seriously doubt it. If there were such an advancement as inductive power all the way from outer space, and it were kept under such tight wraps, then it would probably have originated in some government's defense research program. I doubt it could have migrated to the consumer cellphone market unnoticed.

... that is unless you think that the government has its hand in the consumer cellphone market... which I find alot easier to believe in than inductive power power from space

blaze979

Joined Apr 23, 2011
i think a cell phone is not really off unless you remove the battery. a degree of proof is if you "switch off" and call your cell you will get a recorded message that the cell phone is switched off, however if you directly remove the battery without switching it off you will get a message that the cell phone is out of reach( at least thats how it is back here in India).so we can say for sure that a cell transmits that it is getting switched off to the tower but weather it continues to sync is not certain.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@Blaze979 ,I think the guys learned from your experiment,that means they are
messing with the phones,and guys when I say space,I'm talking the gadgets
that circle the earth. There is direct line from space for r.f..N.A.R.P.H.A.
is busy.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
@Blaze979 ,I think the guys learned from your experiment,that means they are
messing with the phones,and guys when I say space,I'm talking the gadgets
that circle the earth. There is direct line from space for r.f..N.A.R.P.H.A.
is busy.
It was obvious you were talking about satellites but consider that the experiments with inductive power have shown that it is hard to power an appliance from across the room, much less from outer space. also consider the size that such a satellite would have to be to inductively power all of our cellphones or even just one cell phone, and generate enough power for the phone to be able to broadcast a reply back through the atmosphere. and where is the satellite getting it's power? solar? It would have a sail big enough to see with the naked eye. a reactor? who has the money to blast a nuclear reactor into space? see post #21

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Of course if their doing it I would be glad to tap in! Free power, even if it is in the battery range, is good. I'll worry about the cancer 20 years from now.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
i think a cell phone is not really off unless you remove the battery. a degree of proof is if you "switch off" and call your cell you will get a recorded message that the cell phone is switched off, however if you directly remove the battery without switching it off you will get a message that the cell phone is out of reach( at least thats how it is back here in India).so we can say for sure that a cell transmits that it is getting switched off to the tower but weather it continues to sync is not certain.
one way to tell would be to switch it off, then remove the battery, then call it. if you still get the switched off message, then i would suspect that the phone sends a "signing off" message on power down which the network remembers.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Loosewire, crystal sets can receive a signal, but they can't transmit. The cellular phone system can't locate a phone unless the phone is transmitting. So, even it if did have a "crystal set" built in, it could not be located.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
The cell phone can figure out where it is by triangulating from (should be) a minimum of 2 towers. I haven't looked that up, but from what I know of sonar, radar, and periscope navigation, all you need are 2 refrences from fixed locations to obtain an absolute position. My phone has a turn-by-turn GPS program that can work with the built in GPS transponder or it can still work with the transponder turned off. This triangulation is passive and as far as I know, the location information doesn't leave the phone (as far as I know). though I recall hearing something about a lawsuit against apple for this very topic-the Iphone does report it's location even when the user selects otherwise in the menu. If the phone can triangulate it's position passively, then I would confidently say that the cell phone towers can triangulate your position while you are broadcasting. how often does your cell phone broadcast? I don't know. I assume it does all the time, checking for text messages, etc. How does a phone know when it's recieving a call? Do all towers across the world broadcast your call in hopes you will receive it no matter where you are; or do they keep tabs on you and only broadcast near your location? I don't know; but the former idea seems pretty inefficient and I doubt they would do it that way. As for when the battery is removed, I would have to agree with previous posts; there is no way in heck they can track that.
With two positions triangulated, you can determine the object to be in one of two locations, so you could locate it to within a reasonable degree of precision. With three, you can get a good fix on position; four helps maintain accuracy. GPS works in a similar way.

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
The cell phone can figure out where it is by triangulating from (should be) a minimum of 2 towers. I haven't looked that up, but from what I know of sonar, radar, and periscope navigation, all you need are 2 refrences from fixed locations to obtain an absolute position. My phone has a turn-by-turn GPS program that can work with the built in GPS transponder or it can still work with the transponder turned off. This triangulation is passive and as far as I know, the location information doesn't leave the phone (as far as I know). though I recall hearing something about a lawsuit against apple for this very topic-the Iphone does report it's location even when the user selects otherwise in the menu. If the phone can triangulate it's position passively, then I would confidently say that the cell phone towers can triangulate your position while you are broadcasting. how often does your cell phone broadcast? I don't know. I assume it does all the time, checking for text messages, etc. How does a phone know when it's recieving a call? Do all towers across the world broadcast your call in hopes you will receive it no matter where you are; or do they keep tabs on you and only broadcast near your location? I don't know; but the former idea seems pretty inefficient and I doubt they would do it that way. As for when the battery is removed, I would have to agree with previous posts; there is no way in heck they can track that.
The mobile phone sends/receives tx/rx power measurement messages at 1.5khz so that it can continually adjust its tx power. It does this as a sinlge bit is used for power up/down, there is no leave the power alone.

It is feasable to calculate, roughly, the position of a phone using just 2 adjacent towers by using the tx power received and cross referencing.

When you turn your phone off it notifies the operator who makes a note are the phones location so that, when it powers up again it has a starting point for your location. If you have moved locations (i.e. to another city/country) then part of the protocol sequence is to update the operator with your current location.

When the operator needs to notify the phone of a call/sms etc it knows which tower the phone is being serviced by so the messages at sent there (if you move so a different tower has a stronger signal then the phone will switch to it - it's called the neighbour list). The phone doesn't poll the network. All the phones being served by a tower will receive a protocol message saying that a phone has a call/sms but all but one of the phones will ignore it. If one of the phones has modified software it shouldn't be able to access the communication as it should fail the security checks with the network.

With all the phones I've tested (professionally) I've not come across one that transmits when it is powered off. I my opinion the idea of tracking a turned off phone is the stuff of the movies.

All you ever wanted to know can be found here

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
With two positions triangulated, you can determine the object to be in one of two locations, so you could locate it to within a reasonable degree of precision. With three, you can get a good fix on position; four helps maintain accuracy. GPS works in a similar way.
I agree that the more triangulations , the better. However it should theoretically be possible to get a positive location fix from 2 towers, provided the towers can give a 0-360 degree bearing reference and the distance between the 2 towers is known. Plotted on a chart, lines would be drawn out from both towers on the bearings of the recieved signal. Wherever the lines intersect is the location. I do not understand what you mean by "the object to be in one of2 locations"

Last edited:

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
I agree that the more triangulations , the better. However it should theoretically be possible to get a positive location fix from 2 towers, provided the towers can give a 0-360 degree bearing reference and the distance between the 2 towers is known. Plotted on a chart, lines would be drawn out from both towers on the bearings of the recieved signal. Wherever the lines intersect is the location. I do not understand what you mean by "the object to be in one of2 locations"
You don't need to know the bearing of the phone from the tower. If you know what power the phone is reporting it is receiving (and you will) then you can draw a circle around the tower representing that power. If you do that for 2 adjacent towers then the phone should be in the vicinity of where the 2 circles cross.

Not all towers offer 360° transmission, some a tailored to suit there location.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You don't need to know the bearing of the phone from the tower. If you know what power the phone is reporting it is receiving (and you will) then you can draw a circle around the tower representing that power. If you do that for 2 adjacent towers then the phone should be in the vicinity of where the 2 circles cross.

Not all towers offer 360° transmission, some a tailored to suit there location.
How accurate is that? If I understand correctly when you say "what power the phone is reporting it is receiving" you are referring to the strength of the signal received by the towers? If so, couldn't that be effected by things such as cloud cover, transmitting from indoors, physical obstacles, etc.?

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
The phone will report back saying "I'm receiving you at strength x" as part of a digital message. Weather variations will have an impact bu, in my opinion, not that significantly.

It's accurate enough to be used as a starting point for a search party or similar. It's not as accurate as a GPS location but it's better than "I'm North of xxx".

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
well now that we've beaten it to death from the technical perspective, My advice is, if you are worried about being tracked just like in the movies, throw your phone in the back of a moving livestock truck, just like in the movies.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Ron H.,they locate tuned curcuits every day,I have seen crystal radio's
with tunable curcuits. So If radio stations can be located with tuned curcuits.
O.K. guys tell me how hijack works(not using a product name) you guys know
It all Its time for some answers,you have posted your fact and figures,If a tuned curcuit
is out there,you say it can,t be found.Whats the saying that there goal is cut the
power and size in half every year.Most consumer product follow the guild lines.
What happen in the don't tell labs that you learn about 10 years later or never.
There has to be answers to difficult questions,how two electronic divices connect.
You talk about power,you talk to ham operators across the world there are things
besides power that allow that.We know you can be located,what about under the
skin experiments and bar code volunteers.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
My old phone only used the towers method for location and in big towns the accuracy was usually better than 200 yards. In the countryside (less towers) it was usually better than 1 mile, but sometimes (presumably only 1 tower available) it could be 5 miles out.
My newer phone has GPS which I usually turn off to save power but it has another trick which is to search for WIFI networks which gives fairly precise location in cities.
The reason that works is that when Google drove around with their streetview car they made a note of the locations of all the WIFI networks they found.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
What about drones and balloons. No answer about hi-jack(not product name).
What about atop buildings,they rent there space,a lot of work done in tall
buildings.Throwing every thing out there,they have cars that can read 2000
tags a second,both ways.Every county or city in the world has helicopers,
how often do you hear one flying over,or flying high so you can't see or
hear them recording.Making you think.Its only been a short time that you
knew your auto recorded more than repair codes. A driver said he was driving 30 mph in
a 25 mph zone when he killed a child.His car computer read out said he was doing
110 mph a big problem in court.

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Hi-jach locator, a stolen car locator by a different name and cell phones
working without battery. Energy harvesting-piezoelectric disk generator
of voltage,direct line of sight transmiter. Line of sight to receiver,mobil
unit.Secret inventions in molded plastic,unknown parts and how they work.
Hidden in plain sight.

Last edited: