Is This Possible.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Your sketch seems to indicate that the output of your shaker uses a 120VAC type receptacle, which has a wallwart charger plugged into it. The output of the wallwart is connected to a battery pack. Did I miss anything or is that what your intent is? If so, we have a lot to talk about!!

MrMaxwell

Joined May 28, 2011
Your sketch seems to indicate that the output of your shaker uses a 120VAC type receptacle, which has a wallwart charger plugged into it. The output of the wallwart is connected to a battery pack. Did I miss anything or is that what your intent is? If so, we have a lot to talk about!!
Yes, I need help sir!

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Yes, I need help sir!
How in the world did we go from charging a battery directly from your shaker (DC OUTPUT) ... to this scheme? For this scheme to work your shaker would have to produce 120VAC @ 60Hz! This is not what this discussion has been about,... and we're past 43 posts!

MrMaxwell

Joined May 28, 2011
How in the world did we go from charging a battery directly from your shaker (DC OUTPUT) ... to this scheme? For this scheme to work your shaker would have to produce 120VAC @ 60Hz! This is not what this discussion has been about,... and we're past 43 posts!
I am attempting to charge a battery pack from the shaker. I was not completely confident in charging the battery pack by ridding myself of the battery packs adaptor. If I cut off the packs adaptor, and attach the battery pack to the positive and negative of the circuitry, will it work then?

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Well, from the get go I thought this was a lame project and I stated so repeatedly, but if you must proceed with it the battery pack should be connected directly to the bridge rectifier output of the shaker. By the way, the 10,000uF filter capacitor isn't required for this.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
I have a idea of what you are saying. But could you be a bit clearer?
kubeek is saying the same thing that I told you in post 47.

You would have been so, so....so far ahead if you had simply bought a small permanent magnet motor, added some pulleys or gearing and a hand crank. This all could have been mounted to a wood base. With a gear-head motor (none worm gear type) you could connect the crank directly.

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16815+MD

This concept would have been a thousand times more practical and efficient than a shaker.

MrMaxwell

Joined May 28, 2011
kubeek is saying the same thing that I told you in post 47.

You would have been so, so....so far ahead if you had simply bought a small permanent magnet motor, added some pulleys or gearing and a hand crank. This all could have been mounted to a wood base. With a gear-head motor (none worm gear type) you could connect the crank directly.

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16815+MD

This concept would have been a thousand times more practical and efficient than a shaker.
I know that. I'm doing a shaker to because its different than your normal manual generator.

So can you tell me were I'm going wrong in using a shaker generator to trickle charge a rechargeable battery pack?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Apparently you are suffering from the belief that a shaker generator can power a 120 Vac wall wart when the truth is, it might barely produce the 3.9 volts needed to charge the battery.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
I know that. I'm doing a shaker to because its different than your normal manual generator.

So can you tell me were I'm going wrong in using a shaker generator to trickle charge a rechargeable battery pack?
I did. In fact, between kubeek and myself we've told you multiple times. Are you reading the replies?

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
The most depressing thing about this topic is stated in the first post.

I'm currently working on a Summer project for my degree (I'm just two semesters in).
What the hell are they teaching in college level electronics these days? We seem to have nothing but "Greenies" teaching (pie in the sky) alternative energy. It's beginning to make me ill! In the old days the EE student had two years of intensive electronics and physics math before they ever saw a real resistor!

MrMaxwell

Joined May 28, 2011
The most depressing thing about this topic is stated in the first post.

What the hell are they teaching in college level electronics these days? We seem to have nothing but "Greenies" teaching (pie in the sky) alternative energy. It's beginning to make me ill! In the old days the EE student had two years of intensive electronics and physics math before they ever saw a real resistor!
I apologize for upsetting you guys. I'm doing core work now (freshman). I haven't taken any classes pertaining to electronics yet. I'm just trying to do a project. I talked to my professor about doing the project, he was some what interested. I do not like to talk to people about doing things and then not doing what I stated I was attempting to do. This is not a life or death situation.

I understand everything that you guys are stating. Also, the goal is not intended to create a viable alternative energy source. I just want to successfully turn 1 minute of shaking into 3 extra minutes of charging. The goal is not to fully charge anything. Nor is it to quench energy demands.

What I'm not clear about stems from the fact that I do not know if I can charge the pack via is adaptor or if I should cut the adaptor from the cord/out of the circuitry.