Is This Possible.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I'm glad to see you are using #22 wire. Your previous post said #2 and I was wondering just how much current you were trying to generate by shaking.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Warning about doing an autopsy on a shaker flashlight. Somebody gave me one, I found the coil was a dummy and the real power source was a coin size battery. That saved a lot of time that I might have spent shaking it!

MrMaxwell

Joined May 28, 2011
I've decided to make the flashlight big enough to accommodate four of the same size batteries (Ceramic grade 5 though). I now believe that a diode will allow me to charge the pack by cutting off the adaptor of the battery pack. Also, I'm attempting to make the generator with 22awg magnetic wire.
Am I on the right path with respect to the post above?

MrMaxwell

Joined May 28, 2011
Quick sketch. Critique please. Above "1200 turns," is four (4) D battery sized ceramic magnets (grade 5) in-line on a simple spring system. The 22awg magnetic wire will be coiled onto metal mesh that encloses the ceramic magnets.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. The only thing to do now is try it out.

Wait...

Here's an idea. Recent commercials on TV tout The Shake Weight as a way to tone up flabby upper arms. You could tell your wife this is a Shake Weight and get her to do the shaking!

MrMaxwell

Joined May 28, 2011
Yes. The only thing to do now is try it out.

Wait...

Here's an idea. Recent commercials on TV tout The Shake Weight as a way to tone up flabby upper arms. You could tell your wife this is a Shake Weight and get her to do the shaking!
I'm not married. I will just use this for a school project. If I can get it to work, I'll be able to get my professor to believe in me a little more. The more, the better my job chance will be in three and a half years.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You will still need some DC/DC converter to feed the batteries, so the best strategy I see is storing the energy in the supercap, and then using a buck/boost converter to either mimick a normal phone charger or to charge the battery right away.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Considering the relatively massive way this design is going, I think it could get to 3.9 volts and not need a converter circuit.

MrMaxwell

Joined May 28, 2011
You will still need some DC/DC converter to feed the batteries, so the best strategy I see is storing the energy in the supercap, and then using a buck/boost converter to either mimick a normal phone charger or to charge the battery right away.
By charging the battery right away, do you mean by connecting the generator to the battery pack adaptor, or cutting off the adaptor and running the power directly into the battery pack? Also, could you draw a quick sketch of the setup? I understand the parts, and the reason for the supplies you are proposing; but I just don't fully understand the setup of the parts.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
My point is.. if your intent is to charge a battery, how long do you expect your instructor to stand their while you're shaking that thing? The link you posted earlier stated that it takes their charger over three hours to charge the battery that you posted. I think your prof is going to get bored waiting. :D

MrMaxwell

Joined May 28, 2011
My point is.. if your intent is to charge a battery, how long do you expect your instructor to stand their while you're shaking that thing? The link you posted earlier stated that it takes their charger over three hours to charge the battery that you posted. I think your prof is going to get bored waiting. :D
I understand. It is quite funny. If I can charge the pack enough to give the cell phone at least 3 more minutes of use, then all would be good.