Is this an abuse of the patent system?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by studiot, May 25, 2015.

1. studiot

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The patent system is broken, and has been for quite a while IMO. Ever since the US Supreme Court has said software could be patented, and forget the US Congress ever fixing it. So we just have to endure.

I look at this as home robotics, it is inevitable. I for one would love to have something that could help clean and organize the house, whether it is internet connected is going to be up for debate and the purchaser.

3. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    It's a creepy idea, but then Google is a creepy company. I am sure we would all be appalled to see our Google "dossiers."

4. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Fortunately, the UK and European patent systems don't allow software patents :D.

5. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    But they may allow method patents.

This is not a patent. It is a published U.S. patent application. If the examiner finds it to be obvious or previously published at any time by another or by the inventor(s) more than a year before the application was filed (among other possibilities) the patent would not issue.

Some of this sure looks obvious, especially given the existence of "nanny cams" hidden in stuffed animals, etc.

I agree completely with Bill -it started with software patents. When the U.S. started allowing patenting of genes that exist in nature I just dropped my head in sorrow.

6. studiot

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    So it is an issue that merits public airing more generally, especially from the technical community.

UK and EU companies are not immune from ridiculous applications either.

7. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013

I wonder if anyone has invented and patented salt?

8. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Back when patents were first introduced it was possible for, say, an importer to get a Letters Patent granting a monopoly for the import of a particular commodity. I wouldn't be surprised, therefore, if one had been issued for salt.