Is this a scam or legit?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by gte, Jun 22, 2010.

1. gte

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I searched but didn't come up with anything. Looks like it claims to store that is wasted by inductive loads?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electricity-Pow...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255b65e4ef

Cliffs:

2. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    It's a glorified power factor correction unit.
    It can only supply the advertised savings if EVERYTHING in your home is run by an AC motor. All you're gonna see inside the box when you get it is likley a large AC rated capacitor. Notice no claims of UL or saftey acceptance. Complete junk.

3. gte

Sep 18, 2009
    My big electricity users are my fridge and heat pump (a/c). Not sure if my tig welder and air compressor play into that, but of course they don't run all of the time like the fridge and heat or a/c.

Would a UL rated a/c capacitor offer the 10% savings? That'd be $30 to $45 dollars for me depending on the weather.

4. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    gte, it depends on the type of meter the power company is using at your place.
    Fridges and heat pumps don't run 24/7. 10% savings when they run perhaps 25% of the time is 2.5% savings. The cost of the unit and it's MTBF will make it end up you throwing money away.

5. gte

Sep 18, 2009
    That's true, they don't :)

I feel like my a/c is running all of the time though, haha

My power company uses the old style of meters, I believe it's called an inductive meter I think? Do you still think it's not worth < $100 investment?

6. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    It's your money. But wiring it into your house may be unsafe if you don't get an electrician to sign off on it. Such devices if improperly used can void home owners insurance.

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    By all means get an electrician and maybe the power company to sign off on it. Depending on how it really works, which is not described, it could be considered meter tampering.

You really don't want to be involved in that. It is illegal and subject to both civil and criminal penalties.

John

8. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Seller has (ZERO) feedback.

Do more research.

In this case, sceadwian is probably right. And jpanhalt is definitely right.

Meter tampering is big trouble.

And, the large CAP can correct your power factor to a point of ...sometimes noticeable savings.

If your going to spend $100, there are better ways to save power. Right now, Shoppers has 100w~ CFL bulbs 3 for $4. They are their Homelife brand, and only use 23w. I bought a pack Sunday and stuck one into a lamp through a kill-a-watt. 23w.

9. gte

Sep 18, 2009
    The consensus has spoken, thank you!

10. coldpenguin

Apr 18, 2010
    It does have a nice large red Neon on it though, it must work :)
    Surely Fox news wouldn't broadcast something that isn't true