Is this a quality site?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Libzors, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Libzors

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Hello, I have just created my account on this website as I am interested in learning about circuitry. I know hardly anything about circuitry, but judging by the depth and popularity of this website, it would seem like a good place to start learning. Still though, I figured i'd ask the people if this site would in fact be a good place to learn about circuitry.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for someone with basically no circuitry knowledge, or lessons you've learnt that might be useful at some point, please share.

If there are any other good circuitry websites that you would recommend, please let me know.

Thanks for your input!

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Most here are willing to teach and learn, so I'd say you're in the right place.

The ebook links at the top of the page are designed to be approachable while still conveying the theory and ideas pertaining to electrical devices. It has proven useful to many people.

Libzors likes this.
  3. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Is this a quality site?

Absolutely!
    Well moderated, great people

You want advice on how to get stated? First fill in your location details in your profile, it's a real help when people are advising where to buy components etc. Second find a simple project that you are interested in building (flashing LED, crystal radio, driving a small motor, whatever) and build it. When you get stuck come here and ask detailed questions.

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Good to hear you like the site.
    If you have any questions, start asking.
    We will be happy to answer the questions.

There is also the eBook, see the tabs on the top of the page.
    The eBook can be downloaded using the PDF sign at the right top on the index page of a volume.
    Did you also look at the useful websites thread:
    Useful websites for electronics (Ver. 2)
    Or the RF related links thread:
    RF related links
    If you are looking for parts for your projects, you might want to have a look at this thread:
    Components Selection Guide

Bertus

5. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Welocme to AllAboutCircuits!

:)

One thing to need to know right at the beginning.

The direction of current flow in circuits.
    This is just a matter of convention.

The direction for what is known as 'conventional current' was established long before electrons were discovered.

Conventional current flow from (more) positive to (more) negative.

This is still by far the most common usage and indeed is embodied in most national codes on electricity. You will find this used in most of the forum discussions.

However the AAC E-book part of the website was written when it was popular to try to teach the opposite convention in an attempt to modernise electricity and electronics.

So in the Ebook, current flow is described as the flow of electrons, which flows form negative to positive.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Good questions draw good answers. Then asking question in this forum. You can save your self and us a lot time. By having in mind that none of us sit beside you at your workbench. So then you ask questions try to be as precise as you can and provide as much as you can of relevant data. Like circuit diagrams as an example. A good(clear) photo of your circuit diagram may work. It does not have to be a computer drawn circuit diagram. The best thing is perhaps just to jump into it. Then it comes to beginners most of us in this forum are quite patient.

7. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    As you learn more about electronics, you might come up with a question about the best circuit to perform some task. When you do, several people around here will start in with a PIC, or Arduino, or some other computer chip. Fortunately for you, I have them outnumbered.

ak

Bernard and #12 like this.
  8. Tealc

Jun 30, 2011
    I think this is a great site to learn more about electronics. You only have to look at all the work that has gone into the e-books to tell you that. A lot of sites will just relative experts whereas here there seems to be a good cross-section of beginners through to experts.

I put myself firmly in the beginner category.

9. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Welcome to the forum!
    One of the first things to learn in electronics is what the basic components (resistor, capacitor etc) are, what they do, and what their symbols are as used in circuit diagrams (schematics). You will also need to understand the concepts of voltage, current and power and how they relate to each other. You won't get far without a knowledge of Ohm's Law, too.

10. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Welcome to the AAC ... :)

If you don't have enough electronics knowledge, then the E-Book in this site is a good start, go read them and post the question, it will bring you into the electronics area more quickly, reading and asking and repeating the things.

And reading the threads to see what other members asked for, and to see what kinds of infos that you don't know.

I'm sharing what I knew and learning what I don't know.

Before you want to ask the questions that you should read and read again more times about the articles.

11. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Welcome to the world's #1 forum on everything about electronics!

What can be better than having your own personal tutors at your finger tips 24 hours each and every day?

Read up on the tutorials. Build lots of circuits on a breadboard and experiment. Come back and ask questions if things don't work or you don't fully understand.

As t06 says, quality questions bring quality answers. Learn how to ask questions properly.

12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Don't struggle in silence. There are folks here that can help you thru anything, and quickly. All you need to do is be specific - ask good questions. That means being specific, clear, and as detailed as possible. Schematics are the coin of the realm around here. After you're around here for a while, you'll chuckle at some of the posts just like the rest of us. :D

13. Little Ghostman

Jan 1, 2014

All site are quality sites! just that some are good quality and some bad quality! I am 13 which is a good age to tell how good a site is, some sites treat me as a irritation and a child. This is not one of them! I get good help here from nice people who go out of there way to explain things in terms I can grasp.
    Now you cant get a better recommendation than that! Another good one is electrotech online, they seem tobe a bit different but they are also very good at explaining things to me. As for the others.......I joined most but use the two I have mentioned ;)

14. Libzors

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Thank you everyone for the replies! I'll definitely be visiting this website more frequently once I have finished a current, unrelated project. I hope to speak with you all again :)