Is this a good multi-meter?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by pbalien73, Dec 17, 2008.

1. pbalien73

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I'm in the market for a good long term multi-meter. I need a newbie friendly model, is this one? If not what would you recommend.

Velleman DVM810 Digital Multimeter

SKU: DVM810

The Velleman DVM810 Digital Multimeter features:

Automatic Polarity Indication
    Voltage Measurements: AC 500V and DC 500V max.
    Current Measurements: DC 10A max.
    Resistance Measurements: 2Mohm
    Diode and Transistor (hFE) test

DC voltage : 200m/2/20/200/500V, Maximum input : 500V
    AC voltage : 200/500, Maximum input : 500V
    DC current : 200u/2m/20m/200m/10A, Overload protection : 10A
    Resistance : 200/2k/20k/200k/2000k
    Transistor test : yes
    Diode test : yes
    Maximum display : 1999
    Ranging mode : manual
    Data hold : no
    Backlight : no
    Auto power-off : no
    Accessories: manual / test leads / 1 x GP23GA 12V battery
  2. flat5

Nov 13, 2008
    No. That company over charges for all "their" products.
    You can find that meter in another package for $5.

If you can not find it locally you can get one here:

A good site for parts. Great prices, no minimum, low shipping charges.
    Credit cards and Payal accepted. Next day shipping if in stock.
  3. KL7AJ

Nov 4, 2008

Frankly, it's really hard to get a BAD multimeter these days. Even if you're overpaying by a few bucks, the value is so tremenous compared tow what it used to be.

Unspoiled old guy. :)

4. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    I'd just get a Fluke... high quality, very accurate and practically bulletproof.
  5. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    I have a Fluke very accurate multimeter and I buy a bulk package of Velleman cheap resistors. I doubt if I would buy one of their overpriced old kits.
  6. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    I've had this exact model meter for a decade now. It's really quite accurate and easy to use. My only complaint would be that the GP23GA 12v batteries are pricey, but they last quite a while - if you remember to turn the meter off when you're done. The meter is very compact.

Harbor Freight Tools carries some DMMs very similar to those at Futurlec, but you won't have to wait three weeks for them to ship it:
    If you subscribe to their E-mail coupons, you might get this week's mailer that has that very meter on sale for $1.99 (limit 1 per customer).

I have a couple of those meters; they're significantly larger than the DVM810. They use 9v "transistor" batteries, which are cheaper than the small 12v battery the DVM810 uses - but at $1.99, it's about as cheap to throw the meter away and buy a new one. ;)

The transistor tester on the DVM810 is easier to use than the one on the CEN-TECH meter; the jack is a better design (easier to get the leads into the connector)
  7. Metalfan1185

Sep 12, 2008
    As far as DMM's are concerned, i have a few:

Radio Shack Auto Ranging Digital (with AC amps)
    Craftsman Auto Ranging Digital
    Blue Point Large Display Manual Range DMM
    BK Precision DMM with Frequency Ranges
    BK Precision DMM with Manual Ranges

The one i use the most is the Radio Shack one and the blue point one, because the Blue point is easy to read, and the response time on the display for the Radio Shack one is Faster than the rest.

I also have an AMM at my parents house, but im unsure as to what brand it is. I know it is very old, because i think it's in a Bakerlite casing.

I don't like the craftsman one, because sometimes ill apply a signal, and the meter kinda like, gets stuck. and i dont think it's a bad connection because all my meters work fine with the same leads.

I;ve wanted a fluke for a very long time. I saw a cheaper model at Sears and almost picked one up.

I prefer Digital for voltage readings, and Analog for current readings. (I like how Analog meters respond to fluctuating Current Values)

Good luck finding one to your liking
  8. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    You throw away the cheap meter when its 9V battery dies? My Fluke meter turns itself off when it is not used for a couple of minutes so its battery lasts for years.

Good quality modern meters have auto-ranging so the switch doesn't wear out, a frequency counter, a capacitance measurer, true-RMS for accurate AC measurements and many ranges. Their LCD display is digital but also has an analog display with many dots.
  9. floomdoggle

Sep 1, 2008
    I have a Sperry (SP152A), I got from Lowe's about a year and a half ago for about $20. You should have no problem with any non-digital meter if you learn how to use it. (Don't know if AAC has a thread on learning meters, but they should).
    Since you do not know, yet, how to use a volt-ohm meter, I suggest getting the cheapest ont you can find. Once you know how, and what, a meter does, and doesn't, then buy a quality meter. As there is not much difference between crap and good.
    For your artistic needs, a meter that shows you won't burn down your studio, would be appropo.