Is this a diode, a resistor, or something else?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by solarflare, Mar 18, 2015.

1. solarflare

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Hi. I'm trying to repair a power source for an HP Proliant ML350 server, a DPS-800GB A, and among several burned components I came across these two misteries. I can't find the schematic for the board...
    Can someone identify them? One of them seems to have red-yellow-yellow bands, the other has a black-yellow-yellow bands. I can get no readings/values from measuring them.
    _P1330069.jpg _P1330073.jpg _P1330081.jpg

2. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    they're probably blown diodes or capacitors

3. solarflare

Mar 18, 2015
    Hello Dodgydave. It seems to be a really difficult question, I've been asking for a few days now, to coleagues and suppliers, and still no one has assured me what this is. There have been many guesses, but I haven't been able to find a match for these components.
    That (now empty) space between had three X2-MKP metallized polypropylene film capacitors, and the mistery components bridged the two closer caps to the third one. The caps were blown.

4. PlasmaT

Feb 19, 2015
    I notice there is an inner sleeve.
    This is a glass encapsulated ceramic capacitor.

5. uwed

Mar 16, 2015
  6. solarflare

Mar 18, 2015
    Glass gas discharge device for overvoltage protection?
    Looking at its build it seems just like that. :) the capsule inside is similar.
    Thanks so much uwed. Now I just have to find a supplier for this rating.

7. solarflare

Mar 18, 2015
    Hi again.
    I was unable to identify the reference of the gas discharge tube, and the suppliers could not help me.
    In the meantime I got a working power supply and I'm trying to measure the gas tubes to understand if they are still working.
    Can someone help me on how to test them? I get no readings from the tubes using a multimeter.

Thanks